Ransomware Patch

Hello,

Does the Ransomware patch that is released for different OS installs if the preceding patches are missing in the system? OR is it essential that all preceding patches have to be installed and only then this Ransomware patch gets installed?

This is a common question for all Microsoft Windows OS starting from Windows 2003, Windows XP, Windows 2008, Windows 2008 R2, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 , WIndows 2012 & Windows 2012 R2.

If all preceding patches are required, please help me with appropriate links from where I can download those preceding patches for different OS mentioned above.

Thanks & Regards,
Ramesh Chandra

Answer
Answer

Two different cases:

• Windows Vista and Windows XP: They have been released a separate patch for the latest attack. No prerequisites.
  • Windows 7, 8.1, 10: The updates of these OSes are cumulative. The newer patch contains all the previous patches as well. Earlier 7, 8.1 did not follow this, but now they are. For example Build 14393.953 includes patching for MS01070(or whatever) and the later builds like 14393.1028 also contains the previous fixes.

More info here:

http://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2017/05/microsoft-patches-windows-8-and-windows.html

Mark Yes below the post if it helped or resolved your problem

Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not represent the views or opinions of Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 31, 2019 Views 1,389 Applies to: