Lastest Windows 10 update causing problems launching Adobe Elements 12

All my (.jpg) photo files use Adobe Elements (v12) as the default problem.  For the past 4 days I have had problems opening my photo's.  It takes 2-3 minutes before Adobe Elements (Editor) finally opens.  If I change programs to open a photo - no problems with Adobe Lightroom (v4.4/64bit), Microsoft Photos or Photo Viewer.  I have tried everything to get this fixed, including uninstalling and reinstalling version 12 of Adobe Photoshop Elements.

When I open "Task Manager" as I am waiting to see Adobe appear on my screen, it also does not appear as running in Task Manager.  After about 1-1.5 minutes, as it appears in Task Manager, it also appears on my screen trying to load - taking another minute or so before the program finally opens and is operational.

I have a similar issue with trying to use my Canon LIDE 110 flatbed scanner.  It uses Canon's "MP Navigator 4.0EX" program.  Whether I use the smart buttons on the scanner (connected via USB to my laptop), or try to launch the program via the desktop shortcut (with or without the scanner connected), it is doing the same thing as my Photoshop elements, but doesn't take as long for the program to open for use (1.5-2 minutes).

I had a restore point saved from 5 days ago, and when I revert, the problems go away until Windows does the automatic update.

Prior to Windows 10 (Windows 7), I was able to control the windows updates to where I could see the individual updates, isolate a problem update and prevent it from being installed, or remove it.  I have the Windows 10 home addition.  PC is an HP Pavilion with an Intel Core i5 processor, 4G Ram, and the standard Intel (HD 3000) Graphics Card.

Nothing new has been done to this computer in the past 5 days that would contribute and cause the problems above - except the latest Windows Updates.

HELP!!!

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with windows 10 update, I will certainly help you.

1. Which update did you install recently?

2. Did you install the latest Windows 10 build?

I suggest you to check which update you have installed recently.

Method 1: View updates history -

a. Click Start, Settings and then control panel (all items view). Click on the Windows Update icon.
b. Click on
view update history link.
c. To view the details of a single update select and right click on a listed Windows Update, then click on view details. Click Close when done.

Method 2:

As you have mentioned that the problem started after Windows Update. In Windows 10, your device is always kept up to date with the latest features and fixes. Updates and drivers are installed automatically, there is no need to select which updates are needed or not needed. In rare cases, a specific driver or update might temporarily cause issues with your device.

I suggest you that try to remove that particular Windows Update to see if it makes any difference.

To uninstall an unwanted Windows Update:

1. Type “View Installed Updates” in the Search box and then click on View Installed Updates – Control Panel from the Search results.
  2. To uninstall the unwanted update, select it from the list and then click Uninstall.
  1. If it prompt for confirmation, just confirm the same. Once it complete uninstalling, reboot your PC and see if it makes any difference.

2. If uninstalling an update fixes the issue temporarily block the driver updates from automatically installing again. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

If it doesn't fix the issue, then try to perform a System Restore. If an app or update that you recently installed caused problems with your PC, you can restore Windows back to an earlier point in time, called a restore point. System Restore doesn’t change your personal files, but it might remove recently installed apps and drivers.

Note: Windows automatically creates a restore point when you install desktop apps and new Windows updates, if the last restore point is older than 7 days. You can also create a restore point manually at any time.

To restore your PC to an earlier point in time

* Press Windows Key + R to open run command

* Type rstrui and hit Enter key.

* Select Recommended Restore or any other restore point and click Next

* Follow the instructions to restore your PC to earlier. Now see if everything works fine after System Restore.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 6, 2021 Views 1,148 Applies to: