Question

Q: Is a non-destructive win10 install possible? This thread is locked from future replies

I am having issues upgrading to the latest version of Windows10. It was recommended in another thread that I manually update.

If I use the media creation tool to update, will I have to reinstall all my software, etc? Is it possible to do a non-destructive install of Window 10?

Any help appreciated!

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Answer

A:

Hi,

There are different methods available to upgrade to Windows 10 from a previous version of Windows. This includes using an installation media to manually perform the update or automatically by using Windows Update. Since you want to upgrade your existing installation of a previous version of Windows to Windows 10 and keep your software, you can refer to the image below for a general rule on what you can keep depending on the methods you are going to utilize.

Take note that some applications such as antivirus programs might not just work. You may also need to update the device drivers after completing the upgrade.

Feel free to reach out to us for further concerns.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Answer

A:

One of the top 12 things I listed you should disconnect before installing Windows 10 in linked article in my previous reply:

12 Things You Should Do Before Installing Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1703)

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 97 Last updated: January 25, 2018 Applies to: