how to roll back a driver update in windows 10.

Today MS released an update for windows 10 (aug 5-6).

That update has messed up my touch interface,  so that my touch screen is now more of a liability than an asset.

My question is how does one remove the updated drivers.

I already "uninstalled" the udate but it has left the new drivers intact , before giving up on windows 10 and going back to windows 8.1,  I want to try to fix the situation.

so how can I roll back my machine a couple of days.... if that is even possible in win10  I believe it may be the display driver that is causing the issue.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

To rollback the driver, you may follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R on the desktop screen.
  • Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
  • Expand the category you want and right click on the driver and select properties.
  • Navigate to driver tab and click on RollBack driver.

Hope this information was helpful.

Regards,
Sahil Bali

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

What if the driver doesn't stay rolled back? Every few days, I have the rolled back driver for my Bluetooth adapter rolled forward by Windows Update. This is only since updating from 10240 (RTM) to build 10586. Any way to block this driver from being added by WU? See attached screen capture of the driver below. Curious to me that the BTHUSB.SYS file, which is stamped 10.0.10586 remains on the system after rollback. Guessing there may be security issues involved?

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi:  I'm trying to roll back from an Nvidia display adapter driver which MS just automatically updated, but unfortunately the RollBack driver tab is blank--there's nothing to roll back to.  How do I install the MS display adapter driver which came with the windows 10 update--that was working fine.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I ran into this issue with the latest updates; my system froze 3 times in about 2 hours.  The 1 Aug NVIDIA drivers were to blame.

Where there is no "roll back" - I clicked "uninstall" and then waited for the magic to happen; when finished; I let windows search for compatible drivers (tapped F5), and it replaced the absent driver with the old driver; job almost done.

To prevent Microsoft from screwing up my machine again, I downloaded & installed the latest NVidia drivers and the machine is once again stable.  (These should have a signature that is higher than the Windows Update ones, and thus shouldn't be downgraded).

Windows 10 is generally good, but Microsoft's arrogant assumption that all "updates" are "improvements" is a serious flaw.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, I figured this out with the help of a Microsoft store tech guy.

Under Device Manager, just 'disable' the updated display adapter--it stays disabled--the Win10 auto updates don't auto update the Nvidia driver which in fact doesn't work on my machine.  Instead it defaults to the Win standard driver, which does work.

For me, this solved my problem, thank goodness.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 22, 2020 Views 15,685 Applies to: