Getting error "10.0 Error Object reference not set to an instance of an object" after upgrading to Windows 10.

Original title: 10.0 Error Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Hi, I upgraded to Windows 10 and am getting the error Object reference not set to an instance of an object when I close some programs like Sage Act. Also getting this (below) when I start Photoshop. Have checked and checked and cant seem to find a solution. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

Hi Verne,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I will surely help you.

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Corrupt System files.

2. Conflict between third party applications.

Method 1:

I suggest you to set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us  

Warning:

1. Applies to Windows 10.

2. After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Method 2:
If the issue persists, I suggest you to perform SFC (System File Checker) Scan and check if it helps. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and replace them.

a. Click on Start button and type cmd in the search box.

b. Right-click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d. Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit Enter.

Note: Do not close the Command Prompt Window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished. 

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further. 

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank yo for your assistance,

I have gone through all of your suggestions one by one and the problem still exists. Scanfile came back with no integrity problems. I have included a couple of images for your review. Object reference error comes up when ACT closes and Error for Photoshop happens upon opening. I was using 7 prior and it ran perfectly all the time not an issue. All of this started upon the grade to 10.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I have done all of your suggestions and even reconfigured for backup to go to a separate blank, local drive. Upon completion of another back up this is what I have received. Please advise.

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Downloads. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)

This was the previous error:

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Downloads. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))
Backup skipped backing up G:\My Music as it is on the backup target.
Backup skipped backing up G:\My Documents\My Pictures as it is on the backup target.
Backup skipped backing up G:\Downloads as it is on the backup target.

I have nothing but trouble with 10. I have had to reset it and reconfigure it 3 times in the last day because I would get a blue screen that says Bad_System_Config_Info.  I could not even boot up or get to SafeMode via CMD or msconfig So I had to completely reset the machine yet again.

Thank you for your help in this matter...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

The BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO bug check occurs if the SYSTEM hive is corrupt. However, this corruption is unlikely, because the boot loader, known as NT Loader (NTLDR) in versions of Windows prior to Vista, checks a hive for corruption when it loads the hive.

This bug check can also occur if some critical registry keys and values are missing. Thee keys and values might be missing if a user manually edited the registry.

The registry damage is too extensive. You must reinstall the OS or use the Emergency Repair Disk (ERD) that you previously created by using the Windows Backup tool.

Before that I suggest you to create a Windows 10 installation Disc and perform a repair on the computer. To create a please find the below link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

To know how to create a disc, please follow the below link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-manual-upgrade-installation/8cb20cea-4d1c-4c1e-996c-b248493d10e8?tm=1438499976622

To perform a Repair on the computer, Please follow the below steps:

a. Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 10 from it.

b. In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’,‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

c. Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

d. Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select‘Startup Repair’ and select the operating system.

Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, I will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you,

I appreciate your help. Got that all squared away. I am still dealing with

Getting error "10.0 Error Object reference not set to an instance of an object" upon closing ACT and now I am getting duplicate taskbar icons when Photoshop opens. Its just one after the other...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Verne,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

At this point, I would like to know if reinstalling the Adobe Photoshop give any positive outcome.

Write to us for more information.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi TY for all your help.

To bottomline this for you. WIN10 is not compatible with older versions of programs, such as ACT or Photoshop without headaches. WIN 10 is simply not compatible. It has been a nightmare reconfiged 4 times then crashes etc. I gave up and went back to my very stable Win7 and have had zero problems. Main thing DONT UPGRADE TO WIN10! If you buy a machine or device with it already loaded fine. Otherwise you are looking at alot of troubles and alot of money to upgrade software that you really dont need to upgrade.

Thanks again for all your help

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2024 Views 9,392 Applies to: