Error: “There was a problem resetting your PC”

When trying to use the option to “Reset this PC”, and then “Remove everything” using a recovery drive, the reset failed with the error, “There was a problem resetting your PC”.  Now the PC no longer boots into Windows.  What should I do?
Answer
Answer

Hello,

There is a known issue in Windows 10 that we are currently investigating that may result in this failure if all of the following conditions are true:

• Your PC came with Windows 10 pre-installed, and was not an upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

• The PC manufacturer enabled compression to reduce the disk space required for preinstalled applications.

• You created a USB recovery drive using the “Create a recovery drive” feature in Windows 10.

• You booted the PC to the USB recovery drive and selected, Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything.

Under these conditions, the Reset may fail with the error, “There was a problem resetting your PC,” and the PC will no longer boot into Windows.

To work around this issue, if you are experiencing this behavior,

1. Boot the PC to the USB recovery drive.

2. Select Troubleshoot > Recover from a drive.

3. Follow the on-screen instructions to recover the PC.

Please note that this will remove all of your personal files, any apps or drivers you install, and any changes you made to settings and will restore the PC to factory-like state.

882 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

OK, I found a fix that worked. Format the partition with the OS (Win 10 for me) on it. Then I could finally get the other options to work. I plugged in my USB and it would finally recognize it and allow me to redo Win 10. If you still can't get the USB to work you can check that you have the right format and if you do you can follow this.

1. make a usb/microsd/dvd boot disk of the os win10/pro etc most likely 32bit if you are having issues

2. get to recovery options

3. open command prompt

4. type notepad

5. in notepad file>open> set to show all files

6. locate your usb drive letter for example d:

7 back in command prompt type the drive letter ex : "d:" and hit enter

this will put you in your installation drive

8. type "setup" and hit enter if everything lined up your installer should run. install on top or wipe everything out like i did

i believe this will work in most cases however i still hate uefi with every fiber of my being

good luck to you all and later -Zekotetsumaru

Moderator edits: new URLs

644 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 21, 2020 Views 415,350 Applies to: