error 0xc0000218 in windows 10

Last week I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8 and this morning I was working simultaneously in PowerPoint and Excel when my Dell Latitude E7240 laptop froze and was forced into a restart.  The restart does not work and I've tried every variation of the "advanced choices" menu including a full Reset of the Computer and it still will not startup properly.

The only thing that did work was starting in Safe Mode, so at least I was able to backup all my files to prepare for the worst.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can restore the registry files to a prior state?  Unfortunately, no system backup or restore points appear to be available since I upgraded to Windows 10.

The error message that comes up is "0xc0000218"

Please help!!!

Hi Byron,

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble.

I will certainly assist you with these issues.

Method 1: chkdsk (check disk) from safe mode.

Refer the following steps for help.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
  3.   Use one of the following procedures:
    • To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type chkdsk, and then press ENTER.
    • To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk /f, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

• To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Method 2: Run SFC in safe made.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 or Windows Vista. If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected. For example, some Windows functions may not work, or Windows may crash.

Follow the steps to run SFC.

Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, do the following as your appropriate:
Windows 8.1 or Windows 8

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search. Type Command Prompt in the Search box, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannowwill scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
The %WinDir% placeholder represents the Windows operating system folder. For example, C:\Windows.

Note Do not close this Command Prompt window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished. 

Method 3: Perform Startup repair. 

You can download an ISO image file and then try to perform installation again by creating Installation media.

To download an ISO image refer to the below link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

To create an Installation media refer to the below link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Keep us posted on the status of the issue and I’ll be glad to assist you further

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 11,520 Applies to: