Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3093266) - Error 0x8000fff

The update 3093266 keeps failing with error 0x8000fff (3 fs) and sometimes 0x8000ffff (4 fs).

How do I get the update installed?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Saif,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We're sorry to hear the inconvenience you have experienced. Let me help you in this regard.

If you receive Windows error 0x8000fff while trying to install windows updates, it typically means that Windows Update services are interrupted by some Windows registry values or might be with corrupted windows components. Try below mentioned troubleshooting steps and check if they help.

Method 1:

Try to run the Windows update troubleshooter and see if it fix the issue:

* Press Windows Key then type ‘troubleshoot’ and hit Enter

* Select “View all” on the left panel and run “Windows update” troubleshooter from the list

* Click Advanced, ensure to check Apply repairs automatically and also select Run as administrator

* Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting.

Once done, check if it allows you to install Windows Updates without any errors. 

Method 2:

Step :1

a. Press Windows Key + X.
b. Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin)

Note: Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts for UAC(User Account Control).
c. Type following commands into the command prompt one after the other 

net stop wuauserv

net stop bits

net stop cryptsvc 

Keep Command Prompt window opened.

Step :2

Rename Windows Update folders 

At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command:

ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 Catroot2.old
ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Then type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command:

net start wuauserv

net start bits

net start cryptsvc

Close the Command Prompt window and check if you can install the updates.

Keep us posted for any concerns with windows, we're glad to assist you.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried Method 1. It didn't work.

On trying Method 2, it did seem to work and the update started downloading but then suddenly, it failed with error 0x80200056. Why I clicked 'Retry', it started giving error 0x8000ffff again. And it's been same error ever since.

One point to note is that I can install Definition Update for Windows Defender but I cannot install KB3093266.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried this, didn't help.

Is there some other option to try?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Install manually.  Download from the appropriate link below to your desktop and double-click the icon.

Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3093266 x86
Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3093266 x64

Colin Barnhorst

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did try full download & install manually, and that failed also.

Any other option, or a log to indicate what may be failing?

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

I suggest you to create a Windows 10 installation Disc and perform a repair on the computer. To create a please find the below link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

To know how to create a disc, please follow the below link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-manual-upgrade-installation/8cb20cea-4d1c-4c1e-996c-b248493d10e8?tm=1438499976622

Method 1:

To perform a Repair on the computer, Please follow the below steps:

a. Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 10 from it.

b. In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’,‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

c. Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

d. Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, you may perform a check disk and check if that helps.

a. Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 8 from it.

b. In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’,‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

c. Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

d. Click on ‘Advanced options’ and click on command prompt.

e. Run the following command from the command prompt and press enter.

chkdsk /f /r X:( drive letter)

e. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk the next time that the system restarts.

f. Restart the computer.

Important: When you run the check disk, there are chances of losing data so you can take a backup before running check disk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, I will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

At this point you guys are shooting in the dark with no definitive solution. I'm not even sure whether Microsoft's Support Engineers know what the real issue is here.

It's like what they do in India's shady software alleys, if they can't solve an issue, they just reinstall Windows. By asking me to refresh, Microsoft's Support Engineers are doing just the same and are in no way better than them.

This is a waste of time.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had similar problem trying to update to Windows 10.  I couldn't download KB2919355 and thus could not upgrade to windows 10.  After months of trying and working through 7 or 8 Level One Engineers and 2 Level 2 Senior engineers no one was able to solve my issue.  I am a member of the Windows 10 beta group and had no problem but it was on another computer I gave my son.  I finally paid $119.99 for a new key product key code and that solved the problem.  Interesting the new product key code was the same as the one I tried to input during the failed installations.

Now I have the same problem trying to update Windows 10 with KB3093266 and therefore echo SaifAl Falah's response.  You can't speak with anyone other than the support people outsourced in India and the Phillipines and they have their Troubleshooting Manual that they work through.  When that doesn't work they pass you off to someone else and try to get you to buy the paid support which I did to no avail.  I stopped payment through AMEX.  They contacted Microsoft but didn't get any response just like I didn't get any response to the faxes and certified letters I sent to the corporate offices.  I love MS products and have used them since the inception but Windows 8.1 and now 10 has been a problem due to the very very poor technical support and the hours upon hours they waste of our time going through the process.  Each call with the tech support is usually at least 2 hours and in my case I have had sessions of 5 hours.

Hopefully they will come up with a fix to our problem.....the ones offered so far don't work...........and one morning we will wake up and the update was magically installed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for you reply! You know, I contacted Microsoft Support on Twitter and they too offered a solution or two. But nothing worked. In the end, they asked me to buy the paid support. I was on the fence about spending money on support, but after reading about your experience, I'm never going to do it.

Sadly, what Microsoft doesn't realize is that these errors are due to Windows 10 being rushed out without proper bug fixing under the pretext of Windows-as-a-service but it doesn't seem to be working very well. The irony is that they are getting people to upgrade to Windows 10 for free but they are not providing anything more than a trivial support for free if they have a problem. This is stupid.

I might as well install Linux or switch to a Mac because Microsoft doesn't seem to be able to get its **** together. And neither do they realize that the time I spend troubleshooting their clumsy OS is better spent on ANYTHING other than this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you. Solved the problem for me immediately after trying several shot-in-the-dark suggestions by Microsoft technicians!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 18, 2021 Views 3,271 Applies to: