Cannot install update on Windows 10

Original Title: Update already installed but windows still doing a restart update which always results in "We couldn't complete the update/undoing changes"

Hi guys i had a weird problem recently with my Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

In the "Update & Security" settings page it shows "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3140743)."

I already installed it but now everytime i boot up my PC it always shows "installing updates", which always results in "We couldnt complete the update/undoing changes" in the 97% mark. This makes my booting of my PC slow because now i gotta wait for the "undoing changes" to finish and then i can display my desktop. This also applies to shutting down where it now always shows "installing updates"

And yes i can confirm that my update was already done by viewing my notification which says "updates installed". I even went to the "Microsoft Update Catalog" website page to download the same update file and when i run it, it says i already installed it

Any help would be appreciated 

Thanks

|

Hi,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the inconvenience caused.

Please answer the following got us to troubleshoot the issue better:

1. Are you getting this error while trying to install the updates?

2. Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

This issue may arise when there are issues with the Windows update components. Try the following methods to fix the issue.

Method 1: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter

Try to run the Windows update troubleshooter, it will detect and resolve the most common issues with the Windows updates. To do so, follow the link below. You may also follow some other common solutions on the same articles.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-troubleshooter

Method 2: Reset Windows Update components

If the issue is with the Windows update components, this method will resolve the issue by repairing all the components associated with it. Click on the link below and follow the article on the same.

How do I reset Windows Update Components?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Hope this information was helpful. Please reply with the results. I will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Ruth thanks for the reply.

I tried both methods and it still didnt work. Everytime i shut down/restarts it shows "installing updates" and everytime it reaches 30%, it immediately shuts down my computer without completing it.

In method 2 of the solution i keep getting "failed to load xxxx.dll" in step 6.

And everytime i boot up my pc i keep getting this notification

And when i clicked it, it directs me to the update settings.

It always prompt me to install but i've already clicked "Install Now" multiple times and its still shows the same update files and it still has the "We couldnt update windows problem"

Edit: Here's more info when i clicked details, like i said, i stalled them numerous times and i still got the issue

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Indra,

I apologize for the delayed response.

Let’s try to runSFC Scan and DISM commands

Try to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption. SFC scan and DISM will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.

1. Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).

2. In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow (Press Enter)

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth (Press Enter)

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (Press Enter)

To close the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Note: The tool might take 15-20 minutes to finish running, so please do not cancel it.

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Regards

Neha

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Been through all the suggestions above, and still having the same problem as the poster.  Here is my console output from the sfc and DISM.exe commands above.  Is there any kind of log that we can look at?  Also, I now have two systems that seem to have the same problem with updating.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384

[==========================100.0%==========================]
No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384

[==========================100.0%==========================]
The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the update on the issue.

Let’s try to disable third party anti-virus software

If you have any third party software installed on the computer, then I would suggest you to disable the anti-virus software and check.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Regards

Neha

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The only anti-virus software that is installed is Windows Defender.  Should I disable Windows Defender?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I would like to inform you that sometimes the services involved in Windows Updates do not work or get corrupt because of which the updates might not install.

Let’s try to Check Services for Windows Updates.

I would suggest you to check the four services if they are running or not. If not, then restart the services by following below steps:

1. Press “Windows key + R”, type “services.msc

2. Check four services in the list “BITS, Cryptographic, Windows Installer and the Windows Update Services”

3. If the services are not running, right click on each service and click on “Restart”

4. Once all the four services are restarted, you may check if the issue persist or not.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Regards

Neha

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

BITS was already running, Cryptographic was already running, restarted Windows Installer, and restarted Windows Update Services.  I then ran the update again, the system began the updates and then restarted.  After restart it continues the updates, but with the same negative results.  It didn't work.

I also tried resetting all four services suggested, and trying the update.  Same result, it didn't work.

Is there really no log we could look at to get more information on why it didn't work?  Thanks for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Put the computer into clean boot state then try installing the update.

To disable all non-Microsoft services consult the article called Clean Boot.

Follow: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135 

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Disclaimer: A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

Regards

Neha

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 8, 2020 Views 2,243 Applies to: