Black screen after Windows 10 login

My pc ran a windows update, and after restarting I get a black screen after logging in.  Curiously, my Comodo security software still works.  It's launcher app is up in the screen corner as usual, and I can use it to open the main app and run a scan and otherwise use it as usual, but no other icons or menus appear on the screen.  I have the cursor icon and can move it about the screen, but it will not right-click-drop any menus.  Also, the screen saver starts up as usual.  I can open the task manager using ctrl+alt+del, but otherwise the pc is stuck showing a black screen with no functionality.

I have checked all my connections, unplugged all peripherals, and updated my graphics card driver, as recommended by MS.  None of these steps has solved the problem.  Sadly, creation of restore points was not enabled on my pc (I thought it was, but I was wrong), so I cannot roll back the update.

I have opened Windows in safe mode, and this does work.  But of course functionality is dramatically reduced and this is not a long term solution!

I have read others report that they had the same issue, and that Windows would come on after 5-20 minutes.  Unfortunately, that is not happening for me.  I have waited over an hour (keeping the screen saver from kicking on, just in case this reset the clock) and still only have the black screen.  So waiting for Windows to eventually come on is not an option for me.

I have tried everything I can think of to fix this issue short of completely reinstalling Windows.  I hope someone here can help me get things going again without having to resort to that.  Thanks.

[Moved from:  Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup / PC]

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi ,

Issues with the graphics driver and a connection problem with your display are some of the reasons why black screen occurs. Since you were able to boot your PC in safe mode, we suggest that you reinstall your graphics card driver while in safe mode. Then, restart your PC and check if the issue persists.

It is also possible that your antivirus software might be causing the issue. You mentioned that the black screen occurred after running a Windows update and restarting your PC. Were you able to install the update prior to restarting the PC? It is possible that the antivirus software is blocking the update from being installed.

Disclaimer: If you have to temporarily disable it to install an update, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your response! 

I had already installed the latest version of the graphics driver before posting (noted in my original post). Just to confirm, I did this in safe mode (really, it was the only option since regular Windows is not working).

With regard to the anti-virus software as a possible problem, as far as I could tell, the update seemed to install normally. When I closed the pc down the night before, I gave me the notification that it was installing the update. When I turned the pc on again in the morning, it said it was continuing to install the update, and eventually it finished and I got to my login screen. After logging in, that was where my screen went blank.

I did look into removing the anti-virus as a possible source of the problem, but I cannot figure out how to do this in safe mode. If you have any ideas in this regard, I would be happy to try whatever you suggest. Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It also happened to me & I had to uninstall the graphics driver (nVidia) while in safe mode, once restarted all was fine.
Virginia - Time Lady.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did remove and reinstall the graphic driver while in safe mode. Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the update. Since reinstalling or updating the driver did not resolve the issue, we may try to simply roll it back to the last good configuration while in safe mode. To do that, you may follow these steps:

1. Right-click the Start button and select Device Manager.
  2. Right-click your graphics card driver, select Properties, and browse to the Driver tab.
  3. Press the Roll Back Driver option if available, and Windows 10 will begin the process.

If the issue persists, try to install the driver in compatibility mode. You may refer to the steps below:

1. Right-click on the driver and select Properties.    
  2. Select Compatibility tab.    
  3. Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop-down list.
  4. Let the driver install, and then check the functionality.

Let us know how it turns out.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, but I'm afraid that neither of the two options worked.

The roll back driver option was not available (grayed out).

Also, there was no Compatibility tab in Properties.  The only tabs available in Properties were General, Driver, Details, Events and Resources.

So, I'm still stuck.  Any other ideas?  I appreciate your taking the time to help!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the update. A problem with your user account can also be the reason why your computer is experiencing a black screen. User account can become corrupted because of a lot of things. One of which is when an upgrade took place. The good thing is you can always create a new user account and transfer the files from your old user account to the new one. To create a new user account in safe mode, do the following:

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for Command Prompt.
  3. Right-click the result and select Run as an Administrator.
  4. Type the following command to create a new account and press Enter:

net user tempuser /add

Note: Replace tempuser with the name of the account you want.

5. Type the following command to change the account type to Administrator and press Enter:

net localgroup administrators admin /add

Note: Replace admin with the name of the account.

6. Restart your computer to complete the task.

Once you restart your computer, sign in with the newly created account to check if the issue persists. If your computer is no longer experiencing a black screen, you need to transfer your data from the old user account to the new one. Then, you may delete the corrupted user account.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Many have reported that Windows Update KB4038788 is to blame for the black screen at startup due to the app readiness tool, when in safe mode you could try uninstalling this update to see if it to blame.
If it is the update then MS have released an update:
This update is available as a Critical download from Windows Update. To get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
Virginia - Time Lady.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried your suggestion.  For anyone else reading this string, to get to the command prompt you need to open "safe mode with command prompt" (option 6 when going into safe mode choices).  You will not find the command prompt (CP) in safe mode with networking, which is where most people go so they will have internet access in safe mode.  

So, that said, this suggestion did not work, so I guess a fault in the user account was not the issue.  Once I figured out how to get to the CP, I was able to create the account, but it suffers from the same black screen problem as the original account.  The Comodo launcher is, once again, the only thing that displays on the screen or works, other than the task manager.

So, I'm still stuck! :(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How do I uninstall the update?  The Windows Installer Service is not operational in safe mode.  I cannot figure out how to find and remove the update manually.

I tried to run the update you provided a link for (Update KB4043292).  It linked to the following two files:

appxframeworkregcleaner_47561e01c34fbc2a54d2d7bbef1803aa7da1bbc8.exe

But when I tried to run the update, I got an error message that the installer could not be started in safe mode.  The appxframeworkregcleaner would not run at all (I presume, once again, because I was in safe mode).

Please, any suggestions have to work in safe mode.  I suspect this is the most likely culprit, and hope you know of a way of implementing your suggestion in safe mode.  Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 9, 2023 Views 1,279 Applies to: