Adding language to Windows 10 single language

Product Name: HP Pavilion n260tx Laptop
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) [Version 10.0.10240]

Hello,

I bought an HP pavilion n260tx laptop last year which came with windows 8. I upgraded it to 8.1 at the same time.

Last month I upgraded it to windows 10. The version showing in the control panel is window 10 single language.

Now, the problem is that I want to add German (de-DE) as a second display language to my OS. I know my OS is single language. But is there a way to add another language interface pack to it.

I control panel says 'This language is not available in this addition of windows.'

I downloaded german language pack from microsoft website built for my windows build 10.0.10240 and installed it using lpksetup tool. The language pack is now shown to be installed but I cannot enable it and I am getting the same message in control panel as above given pictures.

Please help me to undestand and resolve the issue. I want to keep both the languages (en-US and de-DE) as display language and I want to switch between both.

Thank you so much in Advance

-

Aditya Asopa

India

Hi,

Thank you for posting you query in Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern and will certainly help you to get your query resolved.

We would like to know the following information to assist you better.

1. Do you have home edition or Pro edition installed?

2. Have you installed all pending updates on the system?

If you have Home edition then you needs to have the Pro pack installed and check the status.

Please refer the below link to resolve the issue.

Language packs

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/language-packs#lptabs=win10.

Reference: How to add an input language to your PC.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/how-to-add-an-input-language-to-your-pc#v1h=tab02.

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance, we will be happy to help you

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the reply,

I am currently using Windows 10 Home single language which I upgraded from windows 8.1 which in turn came with my laptop.

I just want to add one display language (de-DE) to the OS.

I have installed de-DE lp.cab available on microsoft website.

But the control panel is still showing:

1. Only one language pack allowed.

2. This language is not available in this edition of windows.

However the lpksetup tool shows that the language is already installed.

I dont know what to do.

Sincerely

-

Aditya

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Aditya,

Thank you for keeping us update.

Ideally, when you install a language pack or choose a different language other than your system language, most of the features are displayed in the modified language. However, there are a few system settings that might still show up in the base language. In that case, we might need to install the operating system afresh choosing the desired language. As of now, I would suggest you to verify that you have followed the steps exactly as detailed below to select the English language (ensure the keyboard settings and input methods are also set to the English language pack).

a. Press Windows + X key in the Windows desktop and click Control Panel.

b. Open Language.

c. Click on Add a Language and then select a desired language (Example: English) and click Open.

d. Now select a Language (Example: English (United States)).

Note: Once you are done with setting the desired language, restart the computer and check.

Additional Information:

Hope this information is helpful. Please keep us updated with the status of the issue having followed the steps provided above, we'll be glad to assist you further.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I had also 8.1 with at least 2 languages and now after the "upgrade" to 10, I have only spanish! My english pack is still here but the OPS is telling me that my version does not allow the pack in here!

Please Microsoft, what kind of a joke is this?, I use my laptop to work and the software I use during my jobs are in english! Fix it!

If not I am moving to the competiton,

Sammy

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sammy,

We appreciate your time and effort for getting back to us.

I suggest you to refer to the following Microsoft article on Change your language or keyboard and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/add-language-keyboard

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have read the pages linked in the replies here, and none of them help. I know exactly what the original poster is referring to.  And in my case, I want only one display language... it's just not the one I have right now! Heck! I'll pay for an upgrade, I just need to know what upgrade I need and where to buy it! That's how bad the translation version is!

Win 8.1 made languages so easy, it looks to me like a huge joke that win 10 gave such a huge step backwards.

You know why I like to use the English display language? Because the Portuguese translation makes no sense whatsoever! It's like someone who never dealt with a computer before translated everything. 

I even went ahead and asked to "remove" the Portuguese language pack... it disappeared from the list, but it's still the display language!

It's kind of ironic that I can't get my windows to display the commands in English when microsoft is an american company! I'm really disappointed and regretting not getting the Ubuntu laptop.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Full same for me: see also another post regarding a Chinese computer where I need English!!!!

'

It simply says: unavailable in this version of windows......

While I downloaded it!!!!

Why no answer from the Microsoft kids????

Why so quiet. Im desperate,angry.

Tell me what to do: Format all, reinstall, whatever but tell me.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2021 Views 16,745 Applies to: