Pen scrolling is inconsistent and breaking some win32 apps. Anyway to disable it?

Hi, I'm a first time poster but have been using Windows since XP Tablet PC edition. I rely on a pen as I am visually impaired and have almost no peripheral vision. One of my professions is producing music, and I rely on FL studio to do so. Due to the new pen scrolling feature, the FL playlist no longer selects clips as I drag and drop. This has therefore seriously impacted my ability to do the thing I love and make my tracks.

I'm also doing my masters in civil engineering and rely on programs like Matlab, Word, Excel and Oaysis. All these programs behave differently to the pen now and my productivity has been seriously hindered. Please Microsoft, I always love having the latest updates, but this feature has seriously hindered my ability to get the things I need to do done.

Furthermore, I used the pen to quickly highlight and copy text on webpages and pdfs whilst scrolling with my finger before the update. This also applies to file explorer. I can't do that quickly anymore. Is there anyway I can disable the new feature?

Question Info

Last updated October 7, 2018 Views 2,300 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This thread is another good place to post your comments about the new awful Windows Ink implementation that was released with the Fall Creators Update: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-10/Windows-10-v1709-AMA-Why-has-Creators-Update-Fall-treated/m-p/133697 

It's not a pen hardware compatibility issue, it's a problem with Microsoft totally changing the pen behavior and breaking all other programs and even core operating system functions like drag/dropping files in File Explorer.  If you have a Wacom device, you can probably turn off the "Windows Ink" support in the driver settings, but that will also disable pressure sensitivity in some software programs that only use the "Windows Ink" API and not the WinTab type drivers. So it's bad either way. 

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yeah so far their response has been either "its probably your pen" or "just roll back to an older version of windows" (Ironically I cant post an emoji here to display my disgust)

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah so far their response has been either "its probably your pen" or "just roll back to an older version of windows" (Ironically I cant post an emoji here to display my disgust)

Adam Z Lein gave a good link where the actual member of the Windows Ink team answered couple of questions and asked for more feedback. Please go to https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-10/Windows-10-v1709-AMA-Why-has-Creators-Update-Fall-treated/m-p/133697

There you can leave the detailed feedback about the issues you have. The more of us give feedback - the quicker be their reaction will be. Here we won't get any answers, because this is a regular support with guys only suggesting general troubleshooting

Sorry this didn't help.

This is most definitely a bug in the way that Microsoft treats pen I/O. The WIN32 function, GetMessageExtraInfo() is now indicating that messages are coming from a non-pen device (finger). Existing applications that treat pen messages as mouse events can no longer distinguish the events from finger/touch events. This also appears to break low-level touch data as well. It is important to point out that the first pen message is marked correctly. Go figure.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm very angry about the way my Wacom functions in Windows.

I've been using a pen tablet instead of a mouse for 8 years now, as I find it far more ergonomic than a mouse.

But since I use windows 10, it's been an ongoing frustration, which has cost me numerous hours of working time.

app preferences simply don't work, so it's no use saying I want to use the pen tablet for selecting content by default in for instance Excel.

After I would use the auto-sum button, if I wanted to select a cell, a black line or dot appeared.

And with the latest update, my pen simply moves around my worksheet or my text area in Word.

How difficult can it be to provide for an option for those of us who use the pen tablet instead of a mouse?

hey, it's 2018, and Microsoft can afford the best software engineers in the world.

Get to work, and don't dare to suggest clean boots, registry editing or any other tricks! Just make it work!

Willem

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello everyone. Microsoft has created a Collection in the feedback hub regarding this issue. So far 99 upvotes. Make sure you go there, upvote and add your comments. Hopefully they will revert this change or add option sooner rather than later.

Link: https://aka.ms/Bltdx5

Sorry this didn't help.

Exactly. And it keeps changing so sometimes I can right click, other times I can't. Draw appears on everything despite having deselected it in Advanced options for all Office documents. Highlighting is hit and miss, moving is hit and miss, EVERYTHING is hit and miss. Time spent fiddling with this amounts to hours and I'm not using this for paid work. So angry.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

My account 'doesn't have access to this feedback' apparently!

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Why not just make pen scroll optional? This would save quite a few people a lot of grief. Please, pen scroll is making my surface unusable.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jacob,

The problem is that in Windows 10 it was never problem-free to use a pen tablet as a mouse. 

Settings made in Word and Excel (use pen for selecting content or something like that) simply did not have any effect.

It is sad that a software company that rules the world can't make its own menu options work.

I rolled back the latest update, so I'm able to use the pen as a mouse, although right-clicking works only now and then.

At some point in time Microsoft will have to fix this.

As you suggest, a simple, all-overruling option 'I use pen tablet as a mouse' should be feasible.

Willem

Sorry this didn't help.