Question

Q: Pen scrolling is inconsistent and breaking some win32 apps. Anyway to disable it?

Hi, I'm a first time poster but have been using Windows since XP Tablet PC edition. I rely on a pen as I am visually impaired and have almost no peripheral vision. One of my professions is producing music, and I rely on FL studio to do so. Due to the new pen scrolling feature, the FL playlist no longer selects clips as I drag and drop. This has therefore seriously impacted my ability to do the thing I love and make my tracks.

I'm also doing my masters in civil engineering and rely on programs like Matlab, Word, Excel and Oaysis. All these programs behave differently to the pen now and my productivity has been seriously hindered. Please Microsoft, I always love having the latest updates, but this feature has seriously hindered my ability to get the things I need to do done.

Furthermore, I used the pen to quickly highlight and copy text on webpages and pdfs whilst scrolling with my finger before the update. This also applies to file explorer. I can't do that quickly anymore. Is there anyway I can disable the new feature?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

There's no option to disable the new feature in the update but you have an option to rollback your computer at the time before the update. Please refer to the article below for more information.

Recovery options in Windows 10

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've just updated and, onscreen but not so far in Office, I have no right click function, my pen scrolls instead of grabbing a piece of text so I can right click copy and/or move it, double click gives me an option to Select All and not just the text I want, and highlighting in order to use the keyboard to copy is awkward because, without lifting the pen well away from the tablet, the highlighted area changes. It's the same with a mouse. I'm not using a touch screen, this is a desktop device with a Wacom pad as pointing device to accommodate my hand problems. I need to know how to edit onscreen or typing into blog posts and the like will become impossible.

And what's the blue circle under the cursor? Why does it sometimes have a blue coloured centre?

Sorry this didn't help.

It doesn't happen in Chrome so I've gone back to that.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

For us to better know your concern, we'd like to ask some information.

- When did the issue start?

- Is it happening to a specific application only or all of the application?

- Have you updated your pen's driver and still getting the same issue?

- Have you tried using your Wacom pad on a different computer and getting the same issue?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sorry this didn't help.

MS broke using the pen on the Surface Pro 3.  In Excel, using the pen to select multiple cells is not possible.  Since the recent update, the pen either scrolls the page or selects the text inside the cell.  The update also broke the pen flicks.  Since the update, pen flicks in Excel do not work.  This is a terrible update and without warning or description of changes.  This update has made using my Surface Pro 3 stressful because of the changes and no longer works has it has which I use for business.  Fix it!  I guess I will have to use a restore.  I use this for business and do not have time to mess around with poor, unthought out, poorly develoved updates.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Honestly, I'm a huge windows advocate but the fact that this new feature has been so poorly executed has made me start to dislike what's now happening to Windows. I really appreciate the continuous updates MS puts out but this has broken a key part of Windows for me.

Sorry this didn't help.

5 people were helped by this reply

this is an entirely ridiculous comment. Rolling back is not a solution for this as you will have to eventually update the computer and this problem will still exist. There needs to a real solution.  I regularly (nearly daily) use the pen to highlight text in a few apps. Prior to the FCU I would use the pen to do this and it was the default that just worked. Now I have to hold the side "button" on the pen (Surface 3) in order to achieve this same functionality. This is entirely frustrating and is a significant digression in the usefulness of the pen. There should be a way in the settings to customize the functionality of the pen or to revert it to the previous default functionality. 

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

My drivers are up to date. Right click has vanished from everything now and, frustratingly, with no guide as to what to do to access the right click menu or functionality. By trial and error, I've discovered that holding the pen pressure briefly over e.g. a web address, I can get the right click menu but paste requires the keyboard. I've given up on Edge because there is so much interference from unexpected pen functions and absent ones and while it's now the case that right click copy/paste has gone from there too, it's still less frustrating than Edge.

Right click for spelling has gone too - the highlight is there to show the word is wrong but right click doesn't give the correct spelling.

R click doesn't work on the desktop either, again it's a light hold of the pen on the pad.

I'm guessing this is a strategy driven by touchscreen technology where r click has never existed. A brief guide for the rest of us would have been an advantage and not to provide that feels disgracefully dismissive of its impact on us.

Sorry this didn't help.

That didn't last but Chrome is still less frustrating than Edge which I had actually made my default browser after years with Chrome. 

Sorry this didn't help.

If that's the case, then we suggest that you perform a clean boot on your computer.

Clean boot helps eliminate conflicts between programs.

Kindly refer to the article below for more information about clean boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Let us know how it goes.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,593 Last updated: April 19, 2018 Applies to: