Win+X context menu shortcuts not working

As the title says. I upgraded to win 10 yesterday and at first the menu shortcuts worked but were just a bit laggy. Now all of a sudden they stopped working whatsoever. Only run, search, desktop, and power options work. The rest, like task manager and programs and features, don't work. When I click them nothing happens.

I've googled the issue and it seems it happened to people upgrading from win 7 to 8 before.

The solution that was recommended most of the time is refreshing/resetting my pc which I don't want to do as I have too many big programs (steam games/university tools) to redownload.

Do any of you guys have any recommendations? I'm not bad with a computer so I can follow instructions without you having to go into step by step explanations.

I've already looked at /username/appdata/local/microsoft/windows/winX and even replaced it with the one from Default user folder.

The shortcuts in the folder work just fine when i double-click them.

To be clear, I can bring up the menu by right clicking start or pressing win+X, the problem is when i click most shortcuts nothing happens.

I've already tried this (my registry entry was fine/unchanged already): 

Ok, found the problem after much installing and uninstalling etc.
To get rid of the shortcut arrows on the desktop icons I had followed some instructions on renaming a registry entry which removed the arrow but as I now know stopped Win+X working as well.
The culprit was.. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\IsShortcut , I had renamed it to NoIsShortcut. 
Thanks for the help and deep thought.
Colin

And this (didn't do anything):

I just managed to resolve this. For the benefit of anyone else who encounters this issue in the future, it seems it's caused by one or more desktop applications that install [Win 8 incompatible] shell extensions into the Windows right-click context menu.
I downloaded and ran http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html from Nir Sofer's brilliant site. This util lists every shell extension and allows you to quickly disable them, so I just disabled each non-Microsoft one in turn (you must then restart Windows Explorer), until I found the culprit. 
With offending shell extension disabled ( RWipe & Clean v8.0 in my case), every option on the 8.1 Power Users (Win + X) menu now works 

And I've already tried running a "sfc /scannow"

Answer
Answer

I can confirm (on my Windows 10 notebook) that Airdroid Desktop Client 3.1.4 causes the right click start context menu (clicking the icons) to stop working, i.e., the context menu pops up, but clicking on any icon does nothing.

I uninstalled Airdroid 3.1.4 and used CCleaner to fix any Airdroid related registry issues, restarted Windows 10 and the context menu works just fine.

There is a new desktop "widget" feature in the Airdroid Client 3.1.4 that most likely conflicts with the shell extensions of the start context menu in Windows 10.

I'll be using a previous version of Airdroid in order to avoid the issue until Airdroid and/or Microsoft fixes it.

P.S. the widget feature works pretty good... 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 20, 2024 Views 2,814 Applies to: