Question

Q: Windows Spotlight Not Working (BLACK SCREEN)

Hey there, I followed the instructions here: http://www.windowscentral.com/how-save-all-windows-spotlight-lockscreen-images to save the pictures from the windows spotlight and since then my lock screen only shows a black screen. After i press a button and go to enter my password the picture appears in the background.

Picture: http://imgur.com/a/VAfhx

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Amir,

I realize that Windows Spotlight is not working. I will try to help you with this issue.

You may want to set a Windows Default theme to check if that helps or you may also want to set a different picture for the back ground to check if that helps.

Further, you may update the Display driver from the Device Manager and check if this helps.

1. Press (Windows key + X) and click on “Device Manager”.

2. Expand “Display Adaptor”.

3. Right click on the video driver and select “Update Driver Software”. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

8 people were helped by this reply

Hi - I too am having this problem with the Black Screen for Windows Spotlight, but it wasn't related to the "saving pictures" thing - this is happening regardless of this. I wonder if it is the same problem. I have posted an entry on this issue also - I will include it here for reference.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/spotlight-picture-not-showing-on-windows-10/79509e91-3472-48f5-a08f-4581a1d5dda3?msgId=84167750-95f6-4878-ba1c-6d3bf13c218b

Anyway, hopefully this helps and we can find a solution.

Cheers

Mike.

Sorry this didn't help.

I fixed this same issue by navigating to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System and adding the DWORD DisableLogonBackgroundImage and setting the value to 1. Then I was able to see the Windows Spotlight images.

Sorry this didn't help.

14 people were helped by this reply

Hi pr_77 - thanks for the thoughts and suggestion!

I have tried inserting that DWORD into that section of the registry and unfortunately what it does it actually disable the background completely and also disable the lock screen - it's now a completely blank screen without the time or anything like that.

This one is a bit of a mystery - any other thoughts appreciated.

I realise that this is a minor quibble but it is a nice feature and I look forward to a different picture each day which seems to be working flawlessly on my other 2 Windows 10 Pro devices.

Thanks,

Mike.

Sorry this didn't help.

There's one other registry key I've found that seems to affect the lock screen. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization There's a DWORD NoLockScreen with a value of 0 on my machine.

I had the same issue you're describing on my Surface Book with the lock screen being black until I press a button and then the picture would appear briefly before logging in. Changing these 2 registry keys fixed it on my machine. Good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Hi! 

I had the exact same problem as you are describing, but i found a solution for this.
Others seemed to have this problem too, and below is a relatively easy step-by-step guide on how to resolve the problem.

• Right click on My Computer on the Desktop and click on Properties.
  • In the left sidebar, click on the Advanced system settings link. It will open the System Properties box.
  • In the Advanced tab, click on Settings under the Performance heading.
  • Check the “Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing” checkbox and click on OK.

Hope this works for you!

Sorry this didn't help.

99 people were helped by this reply

Thanks so much for your input on this one too - unfortunately doesn't solve the problem. I do notice my windows animated though - fading when closing, 'zooming' in and out as I minimise and maximise, unfortunately it doesn't seem to have any effect on the lock screen, which again, after a reboot, shows the background chosen without the spotlight icons, etc. but once I've logged in, and choose to lock my PC, it shows me the black screen with the Spotlight icons.

Sorry I can't bring better news! The search for a solution continues.

Really appreciate any other ideas or thoughts out there!
Best wishes

Mike.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have this issue been solved yet? I'm facing the same dilemma.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks so much lassewr!  Not sure why that works, but it did for me too.

My 'animate windows' item was already checked, so I needed to uncheck it, hit Apply, recheck it and hit Ok.  After that, all was good with the lock screen again.

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

6 people were helped by this reply

This worked for me. Even though I had it checked, I unchecked it and re-checked it. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 8,148 Last updated: June 27, 2018 Applies to: