I'm hoping to get some insight with this new issue that's popped up. My Windows Explorer keeps hanging and then crashing. My Reliability Monitor is at 1 now, with 63 Critical Events from just this morning filled with "Windows Explorer - Stopped working" or "Windows Explorer - Stopped responding and was closed." There are also a few "Windows Shell Experience Host - Stopped working" mixed in there as well.
The problem occurs randomly, I usually notice it when I try to hit my start menu (either via Windows key on keyboard or by clicking) and nothing happens, it hangs, then flickers as the process is restarted. Then, I get a few seconds to a few minutes of explorer working before the cycle repeats. The problem seems to be related to start menu/task bar, as I can use file explorer without issue and I can reliably induce a crash by trying to use the taskbar/start menu.
I've notice this issue in the last day or so -- I had been using Windows 10 Pro since upgrading from Windows 8.1 about a week ago. I hadn't noticed this issue earlier on, and have not made any changes to my system prior to the issue popping up. Notably, I had 0 instances of this problem prior to the KB3081424 -- installed at 3:31AM 8/8/2015, first explorer crash at 4:53AM 8/8/2015 and has been a recurring issue since then. Reliability history report is uploaded (see link below).
The error within the events is showing as AppHangB1 events. Please see an example at the end of this post.
Things I've tried while troubleshooting this myself (low hanging fruit):
* Full virus scan -- Avast 2015, clean
* SFC scan -- no issues
* DISM scan -- no issues
* Clean boot -- Same issues, prompt saying explorer.exe stopped responded, manually click to end process, explorer restarts, hangs again in a few seconds to minutes later. Only MS services loaded -- all other services/start-up processes disabled.
* Safe mode -- problem is resolved.
* Had Windows create a dump file for explorer.exe each time it crashed. I am not an expert by any means but I tried looking through the .dmp file and didn't find anything glaring in it.
* Windows explorer was the only process that was having trouble, other applications/processes were just fine -- but just on the off chance since the crash was soooo random, I ran a memory diagnostic --> no issues (Windows Memory Diagnostic -- on boot diagnostic).
* I called Windows Support, but after I told the person I was speaking with everything I had done myself already to troubleshoot, she said that she wouldn't be able to help me and needed to bump it up a level. They have scheduled me for a phone appointment with tech support in 2 days.
* Used WhatIsHang which showed frequent Windows Shell Experience (ShellExperienceHost.exe) hangs with the Remark "The program hangs in a single system call. You can look in the call stack and stack data to find out which API function cause this hang."
I have uploaded one of my explorer.exe dump files here:
I also have my reliability history here:
WhatIsHang Report for Windows Shell Experience:
This is my system information:
While Windows is still usable given that each time I want to use explorer, I have to wait for it to crash and reboot itself, this is a severe annoyance.
Thanks for any help/ideas!
Reliability Monitor Event
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: explorer.exe
Application Version: 10.0.10240.16405
Application Timestamp: 55b4596f
Hang Signature: 61d6
Hang Type: 33554432
OS Version: 10.0.10240.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: 61d6368c14e3c40858faccb8baf6792f
Additional Hang Signature 2: e59a
Additional Hang Signature 3: e59a7d9a74e814a49b4a6bdb702bd22a
Additional Hang Signature 4: 61d6
Additional Hang Signature 5: 61d6368c14e3c40858faccb8baf6792f
Additional Hang Signature 6: e59a
Additional Hang Signature 7: e59a7d9a74e814a49b4a6bdb702bd22a
Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 84780ecdfc1e59c45da16de8dd368391 (128880849708)