Windows 10 TaskBar Broken

Hi So This Issue Has Just Recently Accured When I Click My Start Menu Nothing Happens, And also my Taskbar works But when i right click on a shortcut on the taskbar it doesnt Show Anything like pin this to taskbar please help Thankyou

Question Info

Last updated January 27, 2020 Views 712 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

We got reports/feedback that we are seeing some issues where the Start Menu is non-responsive.  Please try the following:

1. Open the Task manager.  Here’s a tip:  Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
  2. Click File > Run New Task
  3. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
  4. Type Powershell
  5. Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
  6. Close the Powershell window
  7. Reboot
Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other issues with Windows in future.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It Didnt Work

Sorry this didn't help.

did not work!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

We got reports/feedback that we are seeing some issues where the Start Menu is non-responsive.  Please try the following:

1. Open the Task manager.  Here’s a tip:  Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
  2. Click File > Run New Task
  3. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
  4. Type Powershell
  5. Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
  6. Close the Powershell window
  7. Reboot
Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other issues with Windows in future.

Did not work. Anyways, am surprised this issue continues to happen on some pc's in the past. Should this be resolved by now that we are in the era of Window 10? Shame on you Microsoft.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you due to this issue and we understand the frustration when things don't go the way they supposed to.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps to identify any functionality issue and also fix it.

Method 1:

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps: 

• Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.

• Restart the computer.

Method 2:

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state or were irrecoverable, then I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines: 

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
                         Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
                         Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Write to us with the updated information for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sorry this didn't help.

The windows icon left side of task bar does not respond to either a left or right click.

Most of the Icon on the task bar have disappeared, even the clock.  I have tried the powershell scan and no problems were found.  I attempted to reload all the MS Apps as directed but reload stopped after about 50 apps reloaded.  Still not fixed.

I tried the Dism by pressing the windows and x button, but the command prompt does not open, nothing happens.

Sorry this didn't help.

Turned power off by pressing power switch then restarted now everything works.  Frustrating....

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Doug,

We regret for the inconvenience. However, we are glad to know that the issue is resolved.

In the mean time, I suggest you to create a System Restore point, so that you will always have a functional state of the computer to revert to. However, if you already have one in the recent time, to check if there is any Restore Point already created, follow the below steps.

1. Press Windows key + X, select System.

2. In the left pane, click on System Protection.

3. Select the option to system restore > next. It will show all restore points already created.

Feel free to write to us in future on Windows operating system for any further queries.

Thank You.

Sorry this didn't help.