Question

Q: Windows 10 Taskbar and Desktop Constantly Refreshing

I recently upgraded from windows 7 home premium to windows 10 with the free upgrade, it installed fine and was working great until the the desktop screen and taskbar began to constantly reload. I tried running the sfc /scannow on the command prompt but i got the message "You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utulity." I tried to fix this issue but since everything keeps refreshing I am unable to open anything quick enough without it closing due to the constant refresh. I've checked other topics to try and fix this issue but most need the sfc utility or involve norton 360 being the issue, which i do not have, i have Bitdefener antivirus 2015. Please help this is quite frustrating.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

So I guess 19 people reporting this problem in less than 24 hours means nothing to Microsoft eh?  ****!!!  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

50 people were helped by this reply

Same here. Updated from Win 8.1 to Win 10 on a Surface Pro 3 -i7

Constant refreshes/reloads. You need to run your cmd as administrator to execute svc /scanow which I did but it did nothing to solve this issue.

Very frustrating.

Sorry this didn't help.

43 people were helped by this reply

just updated today, and i'm having the same issue too, desktop and taskbar keep refreshing .

Sorry this didn't help.

40 people were helped by this reply

I think I managed to fix it, I was seeing a notification about icloud photos not being able to update due to lack permissions (not sure if it was worded like that but it was something about permissions), so I went to task manager and under processes, icloud photos was using up alot of CPU. When I ended the process the problem stopped.

Try checking task manager and see if anything is using up too much CPU or anything else. If it works just post here and confirm.

Sorry this didn't help.

700 people were helped by this reply

I upgraded my laptop from Win8.1 to 10 a few days ago. I have Bitdefender 2015 (Total Security) installed on it. When it first installed after only a few minutes, I'm not sure if this describes the same problem as your experiencing Derek but my taskbar was constantly flickering / rapidly flashing (intermittently) and crashing over and over again to the point of making the computer nearly unusable. Desktop kept on crashing as well... (also had a few blue screens happen). 

Did a bit of research online (on my phone) and found out that apparently when you upgrade to Windows 10 Bitdefender will "detect this" and deliver an upgrade package of their own. (this didn't happen for me)

So the steps I took to fix this were as follows...

Go to; http://www.bitdefender.com/support/-1452.html

(You might need to use another computer to do this and then transfer the downloaded files on a flash drive or other storage device ... I did!)

i ... Firstly download the Bitdefender uninstaller (apparently this is different from the Windows uninstall as the Bitdefender uninstaller will wipe the registry etc. etc. etc. so completely wipe Bitdefender from existence on your computer)

ii .. Secondly download the relevant upgrader application [be that anitivirus, internet security or total security] from the options below the uninstaller link on the support page (you can select either 32bit or 64bit versions of what you need)

Run the Bitdefender uninstaller on the computer that's experiencing the trouble you describe. 

(On my computer it ran its uninstaller process 5 or 6 times - so it might seem as though it's stuck in a loop. Also during the uninstall process the second step (Which is called something like 'Removing Optional Packages' or something like that was skipped and was given a cross icon next to that step < as opposed to a tick for the rest of the steps (I'm assuming that won't skip if you're paying for additional Bitdefender services on top of the antivirus that you already pay for) ... Once it reached the end of the sixth loop I closed the uninstaller (because I thought it was just that, stuck in a loop) also by the sixth loop the Bitdefender Total Security application had disappeared from the 'Programs and Features' also from the task bar and a notification flashed up that there was no longer any protection and would I like to switch on Windows Defender')  

Restart

Install the 'installation kit' and restart once installed

(the installation kits from the support link are 'offline' installers so you won't be relying on the system to start calling on internet services (whilst everything is flashing) to download the app through Bitdefender's normal online installer.

There is an option to update the application whilst it's installing so you have the latest, latest version. I skipped this and updated the application after it was installed... all I wanted Windows to do was install and nothing else.

So, installing this 'kit' apparently loads the Windows 10 version of Bitdefender on to your system (the kit was made available, I believe, incase you never received an upgrade notice from the Bitdefender application when you first started Windows 10, which I didn't and I'm assuming you haven't either).

Now I won't lie, I actually had to repeat this uninstall and upgrade installation kit process 3 times. Which was really frustrating to be honest. But after the third and final attempt at upgrading, Bitdefender on my laptop is now working completely normally and so is Windows 10. I'm not getting any crazy flashing taskbar or desktop freezes and crashes and/or blue screens. So, I'm assuming the upgrade was successful.

If anyone else is running any other virus software than Bitdefender - I'm really sorry but I can't help out unfortunately. This is simply the experience that I had and it seems to be very closely aligned to Dereks. On that note, I thought it made sense to share this here.

Hopefully this will help people out.

TLDR : - I had almost exactly the same problem described by Derek. Go to the Bitdefender support link above and download the Uninstaller and then the Antivirus offline installation kit. Hopefully this will fix the problems that you're experiencing.

Paul

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

Thank you, I did previously uninstall bitdefender because I thought that was the problem, it ended up not doing anything, but I just remembered to reinstall it after your reply, it installed fine and nothing seems to be going wrong yet, so thank you

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

thx DD. Great job. it really works.

Sorry this didn't help.

some people have reported that having an application called Aeroglass installed can equally course the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

This solved my issue.  Ran task manager and stopped the two iCloud / iPhoto processes running in the background and the flickering stopped.  Thank you!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

I think apple wants you to buy a mac...

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info