Windows 10 Start Menu

I like to keep things looking very simple, otherwise there is too much clutter I never use.

I would like to place custom folders that I create into the start menu, this section as highlighted here:

(photo taken from the internet)

Take note of the top section.  There is only one three lined button.

As you can see on the image of my personal desktop below, I have one option clicked in the whole of options for the start menu personalization, "show app list". I do NOT actually wish to see the app list whatsoever, but if it is NOT clicked...

Than I am left with a blank screen and two MORE extra buttons in the menu, as seen in the image below:

(It would also be great if there is a way to group the 'sign out' and 'lock' functions with the 'power' button and keep 'account settings' in the 'settings' category as these things fit together and creating the extra category, again, just muddies things up).

So, imagine the first image of my desktop (middle image), with one button at the top of the start menu (the 3 lines), on the second image of my desktop (above)- where there is no program list. In this empty space I would like to have the custom folders.  This was easy on all pervious versions of windows but I can't figure it out here. 

Thank you very much for your time.

Hello,

Seems like you want to customize your Start screen with your preferred applications and programs. Upon checking, we have found a forum article on how to customize the Windows 10 Start Menu or Start screen by one of the  Community's MVP, J W Stuart. Click on the link that we have provided to check the details for the steps with screenshots included to guide you in customizing the Start screen.

If you have further concerns, do not hesitate to let us know.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

There have been dozens of updates to windows since the creation and last update of the article. Thanks for trying though.  If you'll notice he doesn't discuss the issue I was asking for help on.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We tried to replicate your issue on our end and we found out that you were clicking two different parts of the taskbar. On your second photo, you clicked the Windows icon or the Start button at the right-bottom corner of the desktop screen. While on the third photo, you clicked on the search bar or Cortana located in the taskbar. Once you toggle off the Show app list in Start menu, you will not see the highlighted part on your first photo.

There are limited options to customized your Windows Start Menu as what we have provided on the link in the previous post. If it does not discuss what you were looking for specifically, then the limitations may have applied.

Let us know if there's anything else.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 11, 2022 Views 717 Applies to: