Windows 10 start menu not working.

I just upgraded to windows 10 and everything has been working fine. But now the start menu icon isn't working and can't get to my apps. also action center, and volume are not working.  

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Yasmanis,

I can understand your concern.

This issue might have occurred due to some corrupted system files.

Let's try to run the system file checker scan and see if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833?wa=wsignin1.0

Note: Applies to Windows 10 as well.

This issue might also occur if the device drivers are not up to date. Visit the manufacturer's website, download and install the latest drivers.

Please get back to us with the status. We will be glad to assist you.

K.Z. Sharief Khan
Ex-Microsoft Forum Moderator

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey Sharief,

I'm having the same problem as above and I suspect they have a lot more problems (like I do). For example, Settings won't open up (even if I find another way to get to it). 

I ran the sys file checker and that came up with nothing. I've also tried running a powershell script that a lot of people said fixed their issue (on other sites) that didn't work either.

I was going to revert and try to install again since it seems like this install wasn't successful. However, I can't even open settings so I can't get to the spot where it'll allow me to revert back to win 7.

This is a disaster. Please help!  

To give you more details:
I can right click the start menu, but not left click. I can left click things pinned to the taskbar, but not right click. If I right click the desktop and select Personalize or Display, I get an error saying 
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel."

Nothing seems to work right.

296 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

i just finished running the SFC and i got : Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

The problem is persisting and it is getting frustrating please help me solve this problem.

Also all the drivers are updated

Sorry this didn't help.

So, here's something... I think something is wrong with my user account. 

Why, you ask?

Well, I created another user account (another admin) and logged in to that to see if anything changed. And, everything seems to work fine on that account. Downside being all of my user files can't really be accessed there :-/

Sorry this didn't help.

So, here's something... I think something is wrong with my user account. 

Why, you ask?

Well, I created another user account (another admin) and logged in to that to see if anything changed. And, everything seems to work fine on that account. Downside being all of my user files can't really be accessed there :-/

I performed the same procedure and that solved my issue. I did have to delete and create a new profile for myself. But that's ok I just performed a simple back up and moved it back over after I created the new profile. If you have any questions please let me know and I can explore further on how I resolved this issue for myself.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am curious how you did the user backup! that was probably smarter than what I did.

I created a new account, and did a "Reset Windows." The downside of this being that I lost all my programs. Upside being I kept all my files (more important for me). 

Once it was reset my original user worked fine! 

It wasn't possible to reset on my account before because settings wouldn't open (along with a lot of other things). This is why it was important to create a new user that worked properly in order to Reset.

Cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had this issue on two PCs: one that had Windows 7, a lot of installed apps, and 2 user profiles (upgraded to Win 10). The other was a clean Win 7 install that was upgraded to Win 10. The fresh Win7 install had no additional apps installed before the upgrade to Win 10 - not even antivirus - but I still chose not to save any of my apps or settings during the install process. I've had this issue with both. On the fresh install, it didn't show up, but, after about 5 or 6 minutes, suddenly started working. 

When this issue happens to me, I also can't start Edge (I didn't try IE) or the Task View, but I can start Windows Explorer, Control Panel, Command Prompt, etc. I think the issue may be in Cortana, or something that she is accessing. 

I'll also note that on the first PC (not the fresh install) I can't reset the install: it restarts, gets about 70% done, then quits. I tried from Recovery mode, too, but still no luck.

Sorry this didn't help.

I fixed it by creating a new user but the issue came back when I woke up today. So that's cleverly not a fix. It also won't log me into Microsoft anymore to sync and I think it might be related. This was clean install. My upgrade using a local account had no issues at all. 

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

So is there no fix for this issue? I'm having the exact same problem, and what's worse is that when I open File Explorer, it takes over 10 minutes for my files to even be properly organized now.

I'm starting to think upgrading was a huge mistake.

EDIT: And I keep getting these notifications, but when I click on them, absolutely nothing ever happens and they won't go away. **** is this?...

Sorry this didn't help.

I just did a clean install (deleted everything on my computer) everything worked fine for a day and the i got the same issue back. Microsoft need to get their **** together or they are going to be paying for my pc, is getting worse every day.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2020 Views 56,740 Applies to: