Question

Q: Windows 10 Start Menu Crashes This thread is locked from future replies

My issue is i cannot open the new windows 10 start menu.  When i click on the windows icon
it does not open and seems to restart the taskbar.  It looks almost like COM Surrogate crrashed, but 
just for the taskbar.  I have include my rig specs as well as my attempted fixes.  

First, here is my rig specs:

HP Envy dv6-7363cl
WD Black 7200 rmp 16MB cache 750 GB HDD
8 GB Stock RAM
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 (Model: 7260HMW)
All other Hardware has not been upgraded

Here are the things i have done to try to fix this problem. 
(all cmd and powershell were done with admin privileges)

1. In CMD {
ren %windir%\System32\AppLocker\Plugin*.* *.bak
}
Followed by restart.

2. In SERVICES.MSC
right click on APPLICATION IDENTITY and select START

3. In powershell { Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
}
It just returned many errors.  

4. Rebuilt Windows Search Index 
Now it will index Program Files
Program Files (x86)
Start Menu
Users

On top of the Start Menu not running, I have constant crashes in File Explorer, Task Manager, and the Taskbar.  

I am comfortable with advanced fixes like going in to the REG or powershell/CMD so anything you could help me with would be awesome!
Thank you

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I appreciate the effort made towards trying to fix the issue and apologies for the inconvenience.

Create a new user account and check the status.

a. Press Windows key + R

b. Type control userpasswords2 and click OK

c. In Users tab from the User Accounts window click the tab Add

d. In the next window where it says "How will this person sign in", click the last option which says "Sign in without a Microsoft Account (Not recommended) and then click Local Account

e. In next window, type a name for the user and set the password if you want to and click Next and complete the user account creation.

Now to provide Administrator rights to that user, follow the steps from section c.

Select the user account and click Properties

Click Group membership tab

Now click to select Administrator and then click Other and from dropdown option select Administrator

Click OK

Restart the computer

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Regards,

Niranjan Manjhi

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Niranjan for that quick response, but now that didn't seem to work completely.  

I completed all of the steps and restarted my computer.  

After the trying to log into the new account I was met with this error msg: The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in.  User profile cannot be loaded.  

And I still cannot access the Start Menu.  

Any more suggestions?

Thank you in advance.  

From Bobby Baker

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bobby,

Apologize for the difficulties that you're experiencing regarding this issue and also for the delay in getting back to you. Do not worry. Let me help you in fixing this issue.

Please provide us few more details regarding this issue for better understanding:

1. Have you updated all the drivers in the Computer? If not, I suggest that you do the same through Device      Manager.
  2. Does the taskbar and other things on it work normally?

As the Start menu isn't working, I suggest that you perform the following steps:

1. Open the Task manager.  Here’s a tip:  Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
  2. Click File > Run New Task
  3. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
  4. Type Powershell
  5. Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage      Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ;      Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
  6. Close the Powershell window
  7. Reboot

Get back to us for further help.

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

You must be kidding. Why would casual users mess with system shells and such?

Windows 10 came in with no driver support, as Microsoft failed to drive its business "ecosystem" and inform them on time on the code they should be working with.

The Start-up menu fails after some updates. This disables navigation  so the user can't locate even the standard  application software. A classical startup menu similar to that in Windows 7 works on right mouse click (hey, somebody still does think at Microsoft!), but it doesn't access to all software, including Microsoft Office.

The search function is out along with the The Start-up menu.

Browsers fail, including Microsoft's. 

All in all, lots of trouble for the user perspective. This version of Windows (July 2015) should have baked much longer before the release. Microsoft came dangerously close to ruining its brand.

B.

Sorry this didn't help.

9 people were helped by this reply

As a matter of fact I experienced another instance of start menu crash just now and "fixed it" through reboot. 

I am currently on Version 1511 Build 10586.122, so no Insider whatever.

I completely endorse what BobTravica wrote. If it weren't for the right-click ability to have some control left I'd leave the Microsoft world after 25 years.

The OS could be what I always longed for. But niggley occurrencies such as start menu crash just don't sell anymore, not in 2016! 

So I don't have to reboot in the middle of work just to get the start menu back I resorted to "sending" shortcuts of all my major software (not Store apps!) to the desktop (stored in one folder). I also have another file manager installed to fall back on. 

Yes, I too, do not feel capable of handling any powershell mishaps. 

And once, and hopefully before the end of this decade, the Win 10 ripening period is over, I will gladly change my desktop picture to include the Win10 logo or whatever fancy name Microsoft will call it then. Right now, it's just a build. 

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

About a week ago (2 months after my troubles started), there have been some extensive patches downloaded automatically to my laptop running on Windows 10.

Frankly, I feared the outcome, as the machine was rolling on and on and rebooting itself several times. When the process finished, the result was impressive. Everything worked, and it still does. The only thing I can notice is that the startup menu doesn't contain the Search function but it has to be accessed via the right click of the same Windows button, which give an alternative menu focused on computer management.

This update is to credit of Microsoft, hoping that things wont' get worse again. I guess that the alternative startup menu is not the permanent solution. I wonder how helpful can be the restore point procedure (restoring the machine to a previous version of Windows 10 build) while Windows 10 keeps evolving? 

Bob

Sorry this didn't help.

The thing that seems to work for me is to open the task manager and restart windows explorer. Even though it's not open, it still shows as an item in the app list so I hit restart and all my functionality comes back! 8.1 was doing just fine and then they ruined the windows brand with 10. All to hijack my install by marrying it to my rig. Can't wait to be told I have to buy a new key when I upgrade my motherboard!

Sorry this didn't help.

The  popular, but ineffective solution to fixing the Windows 10 Start Menu Crash appears below:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage      Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ;      Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

How about developing an actual solution to the problem. I'm ready to bail out of Windows and buy a MAC. Since Windows 7 (which is pretty good), MICROSOFT has developed nothing but problematic operating systems--and generating profits by having underpaid workers overseas provide paid tech support. 

Here's an idea: PLEASE FIX THE WINDOWS 10 START MENU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

@LeonardNash,

funny, the idea of moving on has come to my mind more than once in the past 8 months.

There are undoubtedly very capable people at Microsoft but it seems more and more that Win10 may anyway well turn out to be the final chapter in a long run of Microsoft operating systems.

Not just the start menu is crying out, altogether too much needs to be addressed. Not once in my recollection have I had the feeling of such a sorely unfinished product getting release status by a reputable company.

Oh yes, restarting explorer.exe has become a regular task for me. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi John,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if there is change in system settings.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• What is the exact issue that you are facing with Windows 10? Are you facing issues with Start Menu?
  • Are you getting any error message?
  • Have you made any changes to the Computer prior to the issue? 

If you facing issues with Start Menu, then I suggest you to refer to the suggestion provided in the below Microsoft Help Article and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.   

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 12706 Last updated: January 18, 2018 Applies to: