• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question

Windows 10 Start Menu Crashes

BobbyBaker_987 asked on
My issue is i cannot open the new windows 10 start menu.  When i click on the windows icon
it does not open and seems to restart the taskbar.  It looks almost like COM Surrogate crrashed, but 
just for the taskbar.  I have include my rig specs as well as my attempted fixes.  

First, here is my rig specs:

HP Envy dv6-7363cl
WD Black 7200 rmp 16MB cache 750 GB HDD
8 GB Stock RAM
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 (Model: 7260HMW)
All other Hardware has not been upgraded

Here are the things i have done to try to fix this problem. 
(all cmd and powershell were done with admin privileges)

1. In CMD {
ren %windir%\System32\AppLocker\Plugin*.* *.bak
}
Followed by restart.

2. In SERVICES.MSC
right click on APPLICATION IDENTITY and select START

3. In powershell { Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
}
It just returned many errors.  

4. Rebuilt Windows Search Index 
Now it will index Program Files
Program Files (x86)
Start Menu
Users

On top of the Start Menu not running, I have constant crashes in File Explorer, Task Manager, and the Taskbar.  

I am comfortable with advanced fixes like going in to the REG or powershell/CMD so anything you could help me with would be awesome!
Thank you
47 people had this question

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
BobTravica replied on

You must be kidding. Why would casual users mess with system shells and such?

Windows 10 came in with no driver support, as Microsoft failed to drive its business "ecosystem" and inform them on time on the code they should be working with.

The Start-up menu fails after some updates. This disables navigation  so the user can't locate even the standard  application software. A classical startup menu similar to that in Windows 7 works on right mouse click (hey, somebody still does think at Microsoft!), but it doesn't access to all software, including Microsoft Office.

The search function is out along with the The Start-up menu.

Browsers fail, including Microsoft's. 

All in all, lots of trouble for the user perspective. This version of Windows (July 2015) should have baked much longer before the release. Microsoft came dangerously close to ruining its brand.

B.

19 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress