Windows 10 Start menu, and bar is not working.

I upgraded to Windows 10 on my Windows 7 Toshiba laptop. My start menu is not allowing me to click on it. I can only right click on it. In addition to this major problem I also can not left click on the battery icon, volume icon, or "Search the web and Windows" bar anything else on the bar. I really need help because I can not open any programs that isn't on my despot.

I need to solve this problem by either fixing it or being able to "downgrade" back to windows 7. It has been longer than a month since I downloaded windows 10 and I don't I have back up of my laptop.

Answer
Answer

After scrolling through questions and answers last night and trying different things it finally started working again, but not last night even though I had reset it. I just woke up this morning and it was working again. I literally almost cried tears of joy.  So this is what I used last night. 

First I tried this:

If any of these functions like Start Menu, Settings, Search, Cortana, Microsoft Edge, Action Center and other Windows components are not responding, follow these below steps and check if it helps: 

1. Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard, select Command prompt (admin).

2. Enter the below commands one by one and hit Enter key. These commands will check and repair if there are any corrupted files

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth 

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Sfc /scannow

3. As above, if this reports problems that cannot be fixed, stop here. Follow the below step.

4. Now enter the below command in Command prompt (admin) prompt. 

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

5. It will open the PowerShell window.

6. Now enter the below command and hit Enter key on the keyboard. 

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

I was not able to access Command Prompt (admin) it just did not show up when I did Windows + x. So I typed step 2 into PowerShell besides the third line because it didn't let me. Then I closed out of it, opened it again and started line six. It looked like it was working. Green lines started popping up so I waited and after a few minuets the lines turned red saying that it did recognize the code.

After that I went through more comments and someone recommended going to this website

http://www.kapilarya.com/fix-start-button-not-working-in-windows-10

I finished doing everything this website told me to do and reset my computer, but no luck so I shut my computer down for the night.

Then this morning I woke up and it was working again. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but my laptop is running as normal I did some scans on my computer and didn't find anything wrong with it.

I hope this can help you as well!

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2022 Views 3,107 Applies to: