Windows 10 lock screen not displaying clock or slideshow

Moved from another thread

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-winpc/windows-10-lock-screen-slideshow-not-showing/01975f7f-11e8-457e-a8ef-5b494af135f1

IsJustaGhost replied on 

If [win]+L is pressed for the first time after login, the lock screen works properly. Pressing [win]+L after that brings up a what appears to be the sign-in screen background overlaying the slideshow. This is why there is no clock or anything else displayed. The sign-in screen background is covering it up. If I wait several seconds before bring up the sign-in screen (it takes several seconds before the slide show begins, as stated before) the slideshow image will flash in view as the sign-in screen appears. The slide show is playing behind the sign-in screen background. 

Turning off "Show lock screen background picture on sign-in screen" causes a screen of only the current accent color to be displayed. However, if i close lockapp.exe from the task manager and than pres [win]+L, the lock screen appears normally. Though locking the computer after that sign on will once again show only the blank sign-in background.

I have tried everything i have found to solve this problem. Including using a transparent image as the background image in order to not have an unwanted image as the initial background for the slideshow. what am I to do if the slideshow is playing under the blank sign-in background(image or accent color, no user picture or sign--in block)?

This is a new laptop running Windows 10 Home preinstalled.

Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299. 

Note that when i press any button or click on the screen the sign-in area appears, this gif is in real time using keys such as [win]+L to shorten the process when possible because it's easier than the touchpad.

and one more side note for anyone who may want to do a gif, screentogif. got it for this, free and easy and a lot of options.

IsJustaGhost replied on 

I ended up doing a system restore from 3 days prior which seams to have fixed the problem. But that leaves the question as to what would cause such interference with the lock screen so that doing a recovery would not be necessary. I has hoping to solve this by other means so that others having the same issue may as well. Especially those who do not have a recent recovery point. I've currently set up auto restore points to be made every 2 days, just in case. I've been trying Revo Uninstaller as an uninstaller which shows that it makes a recovery point at the beginning of uninstalling an app. Unfortunately during this issue I've noticed that there have been no restore points created except for the one i created myself. Perhaps it's not compatible with windows 10's wmic.

Back to the issue. For those that are having an issue with a default image showing before the slideshow starts, try turning off "Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen". if that doesn't work use a transparent gif. Both should give you a single color background of the current accent color before the slideshow starts

If you see no clock, the lock screen is likely being "covered" by a hanging sign-in screen window background (at least that's what it seems to be). The selected image will flash into view when the sign-in screen is initiated by pressing a button, touching the screen or clicking. And killing the lock screen app, "LockApp.exe", in the task manager will let the lock screen function properly for a single time. This of course is not an answer to this problem. I hate to say it, but the only option may be to restore the system from a restore point. If that doesn't fix it than the issue may be present in that restore point as well. An earlier one, perhaps. If not a complete system recovery may be needed. 

Such a small issue to warrant such drastic actions. This is why we need to know what could cause this issue so that it could be fixed easily, if not internally so that it doesn't happen.

IsJustaGhost replied on 

OK, It's back to doing it. I can't place if it has anything to do with processor priority or not. It was a thought since it had worked before opening anything. But since I posted my last message it had done it again. so I tried idling a bit before locking to see if that helped. After several attempts it worked i logged in and opened explorer than locked and back to no clock. But it's more random now after i did the restore. It does, however, do it repeatedly. Unfortunately the random is for when it works. 

I'm going to replicate when it works. 

IsJustaGhost replied on 

Well, for the devs. I found that doing the following works.

• [win]+L
  • blank screen. no clock. no weather. just blank (no background image because I have that turned off in the lock screen setting).
  • initiate login (pressing any key, mouse click, touch slide up - without animation)
  • wait for sign-in screen to timeout
  • normal lock screen with clock and slideshow appear

However, when I bring up the sign-in screen after that meathod, it comes up with the on-screen numpad. It doesn't normally come up.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello, Microsoft? Any input would be appreciated. 

Since then the system has updated to

Windows 10 Home

10.0.17134 Build 17134

Version               1803

Installed on        5/16/2018

OS build             17134.48

Now Windows Photos is not working Properly

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/why-is-the-enhance-function-not-working-in-windows/fbb72674-ab60-47bd-bef9-b14c0a91720f

To help others having the same issue, if a reply is helpful,
please select "Mark as answer" from ... under the helpful reply.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you see no clock, the lock screen is likely being "covered" by a hanging sign-in screen window background (at least that's what it seems to be). 

Do you have a second monitor you could look at when this happens?  Another reason for this symptom and one which is very difficult to work around when you have only Touch is that your Tablet is not the primary screen.  The Lock screen and the Login screen would both be rendering on the monitor which had been designated to be primary.  Others have seen instances in which this explanation solved their problem symptom even though the primary monitor was apparently a phantom presumably caused by a quirk in their video system.  A workaround for this scenario is: first, to get out of the Lock screen state and then, in the Login screen state, using the Project dialog to switch from Extend to Duplicate.   A procedure that I recommend for achieving the first step is to start Narrator (e.g. press Win+Ctrl+Enter.)  Once you get to the Login screen you are allowed to try using the Project dialog.  Then press Win+P, CursorUp, Enter and see if that causes a useful change.  There are more caveats about both procedures but hopefully that would be enough to let you see (and hear) something new at least.  If you're not familiar with Narrator be prepared for a bit of a learning curve to work around its quirks, especially in this scenario.

Windows 10.  Still an Adventure ("Twisty passages, all different.")

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

On a laptop. Set to PC screen only.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your response seems to be about the "sign -in Screen" not showing up. And following your advice would have Narrator read off what is on the unseen sign-in screen to allow one to be assured that the system is indeed displaying it even if it is on a monitor that is not visible.

If so, Please refer to my original post and the GIF. The sign-in screen is there when called upon. However, in most cases, the lock screen is there but not visible. "In most cases". 

Seeing how all to often posters on here create such vague posts that it can be very difficult to understand what their complaint is, I had done my best to be as detailed as I could to the point of the very detailed GIF.

However, I do thank you for your response.

As far as I can tell, after all i have done and what others have said they have done to try to resolve this issue, I do not believe this issue can be resolved client side.

I look to you for your wisdom. As long as it is nothing like, "have you tried restarting it?", " unplug... take the battery out...wait 10 minutes...run SFC(^already done)..."

I've seen similar issues reported since 2015

Cheers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your response seems to be about the "sign -in Screen" not showing up. And following your advice would have Narrator read off what is on the unseen sign-in screen to allow one to be assured that the system is indeed displaying it even if it is on a monitor that is not visible. 

Essentially but having Narrator running may also give you more clarity about your symptom how ever it is occurring.

The sign-in screen is there when called upon.

I was responding to this part

<quote>

Pressing [win]+L after that brings up a what appears to be the sign-in screen background overlaying the slideshow. This is why there is no clock or anything else displayed. The sign-in screen background is covering it up.

</quote>

suggesting that it would be desirable to be able to use the Login screen when it is in that state.  That's what my workaround would help with.  Narrator would describe the fields as you accessed them via keystroke, so then you would be able to complete your Login relatively easily and get past an impediment.  Note that another thing you could try with Narrator is getting its text description of what it sees from its "Search command"  Caps Lock + Shift + Enter.  I would be interested in knowing if you saw such a description or only heard one.

Is there a way to control your slideshow to make it go frame by frame?  What is that pixelated stuff?  That could be a sign of another quirk I have noticed at sign in.   The Login screen was scaled so large that what was presented on the screen was only black (not even background color).  That was in a VM and I was able to scroll the window to see how it had been rendered like that.  Again, Narrator could see where keyboard focus was going even though I couldn't make it visible.  YMMV.   In fact, this has reminded me that I could try simulating your symptom in a VM (Hyper-V) and perhaps get my own description of it.  

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

suggesting that it would be desirable to be able to use the Login screen when it is in that state. 

Actually, no. When I want the Sign-in screen to appear (by sliding the screen up, pressing any key, sometimes the keys only "bounce the screen up slightly" and I have to press the Left mouse or slide screen up) it comes up without a problem.

Allow me to re-explain.

First off.

Normal functionality of the lock screen, as i'm sure you know, is as follows.

When the lock screen appears, whether by screen timeout or [Win]+L, it displays the selected image or slideshow images as well as; clock, weather , and any app info that is selected. I only select weather.

However

Normally, it (the Lock screen) comes up blank. I say normally because, it is the most common. And what I mean by blank is; no clock, no weather, nothing (as seen in the GIF). there would be an image if I had "Show lock screen background picture on sign-in screen" turned on. Which is why I suspect that the blank screen is the sign-in screen window (just the window, un-populated with the normal sign-in screen code). if I select to enable  "Show lock screen background picture on sign-in screen" then that image will be displayed over what should be the Lock screen.

With the client "locked".

• All that is displayed is the selected accent color("Show lock screen background picture on sign-in screen" is disabled), as it is on a normal operating sign-in screen
  • when i initiate sign-in(by using any of the methods above) the window(blank sign-in screen???) briefly flashes out of view and the selected lock screen image or one of the slideshow images is shown before the full sign-in screen appears.(as seen in the GIF)
  • the sign-in screen functions properly. However, as I mentioned above, it sometimes does not open with any key press. in those cases screen slide up or left click works.
  • the client logs in to desktop.
  • if I do not log in at that time and allow the sign-in screen to time out, then the window will go away and show the lock screen (as in the normal lock screen with all the normal features).

when the client locks again, it will usually appear blank

there are 4 states

1. blank lock screen (appears to be covered by the window used by the sign-in screen.
  2. the sign-in screen (which functions normally every time)
  3. calling the sign-in screen sometimes is only slightly bumped up by key presses, requiring screen swipe or left click to open it
  4. normal lock screen in view

??? = because I do not claim to know what is going on, only how it appears.

the pixels, that's a feature of screen2gif allowing me to hide the user area of the sign-in screen for privacy.

I know, it's a bit wordy. It must be because there are several functions involved and they must be separated and refereed to.

Cheers.

Please also read the posts by;

Nicolas Degardin replied on  April 7, 2018
monroe replied on  April 24, 2018
WastingHeroes replied on  May 22, 2018

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is by far NOT the answer.

However, I've come up with a workaround.

1. Open "Task scheduler"
  2. create new task(I put all tasks I create in a folder called "My tasks" for easy finding).
  3. name "Kill LockApp"
  4. new trigger "on workstation unlock"
  5. delay task for "5 seconds" because it seams that it restarts after login(perhaps this is the bug)
  6. new action
  7. run program "taskkill"
  8. add arguments "/f /t /im lockapp.exe"

Now, aproximently 5 seconds after login a command window will flash and lockapp process will be killed.

When I thought of this and began to tinker with it, I noticed the following.

To ensure that it was working I kept a task manager open to where lock app would be. Immediately upon unlocking, LockApp would not be in the list of processes. However, moments later it would come up, running, then suspended.

Is it being re-executed at login?

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why does the slideshow require that the folder contents must be indexed?

When one adds a folder to be used in the slide show, that folder is added to the slideshow library located at "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\LockScreenSlideshow"

All folders added to the slideshow are also added to this library. Even folders that are not indexed appear in this library. Yet if any of the folders are not indexed the slideshow will not function. When I added a non indexed folder, the lock screen appears when locked with no slideshow and within a short time turns the screen off. Ignoring the set time for the screen to turn off. Even if the screen is set to never turn off.

Come on Microsoft. Fix the lockApp suspended bug so that the users of windows 10 do not have to come up with workarounds such as the one I stated in my previous post. And while you're at it remove the necessity for the files to be indexed. The library is good enough. The slideshow library works weather or not the contents are indexed.

I feel as if I'm running Windows 10 pre-release. And all the updates create more problems without fixing the previous ones.

The lock screen worked fine when I bought this laptop last year. The following month I received the first update and noticed the lock screen issue. This April's update broke Windows Photos. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@IsJustaGhost, thank you.  I'm not sure why I didn't think of that.  It works great!  However, I'm not going to mark this as solving my problem because I suspect that will cause everyone at Microsoft to ignore this issue. 

To Microsoft: If you think that this is an acceptable solution and you no longer have to address this issue--keep in mind that we expect that the operating system performs as designed and advertised.  Features that don't work are *worse* than features that don't exist.  This is not really a solution, but is a brilliant hack necessitated by your negligence.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When one adds a folder to be used in the slide show, that folder is added to the slideshow library located at "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\LockScreenSlideshow"

Good clue.  This is new implementation in 17134.  No sign of it in 16299 which I am still forced to run until MS supports my Surface 2 Pro.  I can see this in my VM but when I run that I cannot use Win+L.  In fact, I can't really test the slideshow option with it at all.  Win+L escapes me to the host's Lock screen!  Who knew?  I suppose it is analogous to Ctrl+Alt+Delete where we need to use a Ctrl+Alt+End as a substitute.

Also, it would help to clarify what a second Win+L is intended to do; e.g. on 16299 it is ignored completely.  If it is supposed to allow us to step through the slideshow manually that would be a good idea which I haven't found yet added to Feedback Hub.  Someone mentioned that Spacebar and Arrow keys were once used in a Photos app, so maybe that would be a more intuitive UI but on 16299 they both raise the Login screen.  I guess in order to allow something like that MS would have to declare that another Win+L would be a way of escaping the slideshow.   "Twisty passages, all different."   ; }

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The same function is found on 17134. Any key pressed at the lock screen calls the sign-in screen, most of the time. Sometimes all I can get it to do is bounce with key presses(boing boing boing, without raising). That's when I need to left click or slide up on the screen. It seems to, at times, be unable to decide what type of device I am using. Most of the time I get the full keyboard device interface(a laptop or pc doesn't need touch screen input options). Sometimes, when the keys don't get past the bounce, the log-in screen comes up with a pin pad. There are many reasons I chose a laptop with full keyboard, including num pad. 

I have not used any form of Windows tablet. Do you have any of these issues with 16299?

I'm not sure what version this laptop came with. I only had it for a about a month before I noticed Windows 10 wasn't "updated" in the usual sense but had an entirely new version installed. Is there a way to find the previous version without doing a factory reset? This newest install, installed last month,  wiped any backwards recovery options.

Hold on, I just noticed Windows 10 had just done another commutative update. Lets see what this has done.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 3, 2020 Views 12,214 Applies to: