Windows 10 goes to blank screen after login

I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 via the free download; the installation went fine and then I picked express settings during the intro screen.  I was able to log in just fine but after login I see the desktop for a few seconds then a blank screen.  I am able to move the mouse and get to the task manager but can not get the desktop to display.  I have rebooted in safemode to disable the Nvidia GTX 580M and then restarted but this does not solve the problem.  I also ran ctrl+alt+del and then ran explorer.exe with no effect; after running explorer.exe it shows up in the processes for a few seconds then goes away.  I am unable to roll back to windows 7 in this state but I can get to the Control panel via the cmd command however nothing works to solve the black screen. I need some help to find a solution to this issue.

thank you.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

we appreciate your effort made in order to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it works.

If you see the black screen only after sign-in and you can see a mouse cursor:

1. While at the black screen, try using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager.
  2. If it becomes visible, try finding LockAppHost.exe on the Details tab and ending the task.
    1. If this resolves the black screen, use corruption resolution steps (dism, then sfc), and run the all apps PowerShell command.
  3. If this does not work, use File, Run new task in Task Manager to start an Administrator CMD window. Use this to create a new administrator user with the following commands (changing “<password>” to something of the customer’s choosing):
    net user test <password> /add
    net localgroup Administrators test /add
  4. This will give you a test user to try, which will confirm if the issue is user or system-specific.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I had exactly the same problem where I would get a blank screen when logging into my account after the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I followed the advice in the answer, but I could not find LockAppHost.exe in the Task Manager.

I then tried creating a new account using the "net user" command.  This failed with an access denied message, or something simular.

I then simply signed out of my user using ALT-CTRL-DEL and then signed in using an exisiting Administrator account. 

This correctly logged in to the admin account.  I then signed out and then successfully logged into my original account that was giving the blank screen.

To summarise:  You must log into an Administrator account after upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7-  this will complete the upgrade and avoid the above issue.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issues as AJR_1600. I did sign in as admin when install completed, but it made no difference!I have ran all diagnostics and came up empty :( I ran the same upgrade on 5 computers and only 2 installed flawlessly.

Will try Prabhavathi Patil answer in just a bit and let you guys know if it worked!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

no ... it did not work for me.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope! I have tried ALL above, disconnecting at peripherals, booting from USB using media tool, changing the registry, and nothing seems to work. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Apologize for the delayed response. Please let us know the following details for better understanding:

What is the present status of the issue?

What's the make and model of the Computer?

What exactly happens when trying to boot to Windows 10?

What steps did you take using Windows 10 installation media?

Get back to us with the requested details for better assistance. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Didn't work. no task in details named LockAppHost.exe. The problem happened after I was shutting my HP Notebook. Shutdown said it was waiting for Word and Excel to stop. I hit Cancel but the PC still shut down. When I tried to start it again, PC displays my user Login, I successfully log in, when I hit return the screen goes blank and never comes back. I can get to Task Manager with ATL-CTRL-DELETE. Windows 10 appears to be running fine. I can manually execute programs, Word and Excel launch fine. But still no desktop... HELP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

At the log in screen try clicking the assistance icon (poor sighted or those hard of hearing) this will turn on the high contrast. You can then go to settings and change it back. Worked with Dell machine not sure with others. After restarting everything was back to normal.

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2024 Views 16,206 Applies to: