Windows 10 - Desktop icons disappeared - I may have hit something that is causing my problem

Windows 10 has been working fine for a couple if weeks.  Today, I may have hit a wrong button because everything changed.  I was working on the desktop when suddenly my desktop was taken over by several icons previously residing in the Start Menu.

Now, I can access the taskbar but the 50 icons I had on my desktop have disappeared.  I had previously programmed a continuous slideshow on the desktop and it is the only thing functioning on the desktop.  

I cannot right or left click on the desktop.  Now, my only access to the computer is through the Start Button.  Other than the slideshow, the desktop is not accessible.

I am coming from Windows 7 so I have no idea where this is a malfunction or simply a new feature of Windows 10 that I don't understand.  

One of the help topics on MS suggested right clicking the desktop to get to personalize but - I can't right click the desktop.

What am I doing wrong?  HELP 

Question Info

Last updated June 4, 2020 Views 203,894 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10.

Perform SFC(System file Checker) scan and see if it helps.

a: Press Windows key + X.

b: Select Command Prompt(Admin).

c: Type SFC / scannow and hit enter.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help.

110 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi:

One of my co worker has the same problem. This morning all her desktop icons disappears replaced by the live tiles that usually appears in the start menu.

I did the above and after scanning it tells me that I have no integrity issue.

What I notices is this, that it appears there's another screen with the live tiles overlay over her main screen.

For example, if I'm in explorer then I close explorer, her main screen will quickly pop up with all the desktop icons showing for a brief second before it goes back to the overlay screen.

I can figure out how to get rid of this other screen that is overlaying her main screen.  I unpinned all the live tiles thinking that screen would then disappear but no.

Please help

thanks

105 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

i have the same issue, and it seems to have only affected my x86 systems and after the recent update, i can only access my start menu, my desktop like the previous people have stated, seems to be covered by another tile. for me i see my icons but then a blank overlay appears showing my desktop but no icons, i would say for the first 5 mins the computer boots up its fine then this happens. again i noticed this happend after the recent updates. 

55 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi:

One of my co worker has the same problem. This morning all her desktop icons disappears replaced by the live tiles that usually appears in the start menu.

What I notices is this, that it appears there's another screen with the live tiles overlay over her main screen.

For example, if I'm in explorer then I close explorer, her main screen will quickly pop up with all the desktop icons showing for a brief second before it goes back to the overlay screen.

I can figure out how to get rid of this other screen that is overlaying her main screen.  I unpinned all the live tiles thinking that screen would then disappear but no.

Please help

thanks

try going into settings - personalization - start and turn off - use start full screen

43 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

to give a update, i tried to attempt to do the previous mentioned thing with hitting
win+r and pulling up cmd admin

the only problem is, this glitch or whatever it is, would not allow me to type in the cmd window, when i opened up task manager, my cpu was going all over the place from 2% to 99%, i also noticed when comparing programs running on my functioning machine (x64) and the machine with this glitch (x86) that there were several things running that the other machine wasnt, so i tried to kill those process, no results no change.

both computers have the same software installed, the only difference is one is x86 and one is x64, so i've opted to reinstall windows to see if this fixes it.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I originated this duiscussion.  May I say that "kairous 1" stated the basic problem much better than I did.  

Before receiving the first reply to my query, and suspecting the problem may be rooted in Windows latest update in that the computer had been working fine until then, I used System restore right after posting the problem.  

Near the end of the Restore, I received a message that the system couldn't restore because there was a registry error.  The system then rebooted and I received another message saying the Restore was successful.

When the reboot was completed, everything was the way it was before the problem.  Of course, I soon was notified that I had updates waiting to be installed.

Being a glutton for punishment, I went ahead and installed the updates.  These often contain security plugs as well as removing operational glitches to a new operating system so I figured I didn't have much choice.  Maybe the original update had a one time glitch.

If this is a Windows 10 glitch, I can only hope MS comes up with a fix before the problem repeats itself.

Thanks for all the terrific answers.  

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi:

Please help

thanks

try going into settings - personalization - start and turn off - use start full screen

that's bill, but that didn't work

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I originated this duiscussion.  May I say that "kairous 1" stated the basic problem much better than I did.  

Before receiving the first reply to my query, and suspecting the problem may be rooted in Windows latest update in that the computer had been working fine until then, I used System restore right after posting the problem.  

Near the end of the Restore, I received a message that the system couldn't restore because there was a registry error.  The system then rebooted and I received another message saying the Restore was successful.

When the reboot was completed, everything was the way it was before the problem.  Of course, I soon was notified that I had updates waiting to be installed.

Being a glutton for punishment, I went ahead and installed the updates.  These often contain security plugs as well as removing operational glitches to a new operating system so I figured I didn't have much choice.  Maybe the original update had a one time glitch.

If this is a Windows 10 glitch, I can only hope MS comes up with a fix before the problem repeats itself.

Thanks for all the terrific answers.  

hey Forceten3232, how did you reinstall Win 10.  I used the mediacreation tool from MS to attempt to install my co-worker's Win 10 but after downloading and verification, I got an error message.

any advise on this would be helpful. thanks

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this same problem.  If you have a touch screen you can swipe from the right which exposes a menu with a "Tablet Mode" option.

You can "unclick" Tablet Mode and you'll return to "Desktop Mode".

A 2 second fix that took me a frustrating hour or so to stumble across.  (must have switched it accidentally while exploring features.)

(Later - If you don't have a touch screen there is an icon in the task bar on the far right that will open the same menu as above.)

1056 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi kairous 1 -

I didn't reinstall Win10.  I used System Restore and chose to restore prior to the last update.  

Click the Action Center icon (should be last icon on the right of the taskbar) then select "All Settings" (on the bottom);  

select "Update & Security",

then Recovery,

then "Advanced Startup",

then Troubleshoot,

then "Advanced Options,

then "System Restore".

I am far from an expert on Win10 - this is the only way I know to get there.  Anyway, there was a large Win10 update o/a 8-15.  I selected that date.  Near the end of the restore process, a pop-up said the restore was unsuccessful.  However, when it finished I received another popup saying my computer was in fact successfully restored.  

The problem with all this is obvious.  This may well get your computer straight - but only for the time being as MS will re-download the updates.  And one of those recent updates may well be the source of the problem.  

Since not installing updates is a whole can of worms in itself, I reinstalled and just hope the glitch will be resolved before the problem pops up again.

Hope this helps.   

21 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.