Windows 10 - Critical Error: Start Menu Isn't Working

Like many others I have received successive failures of the Start Menu in Windows 10.  Each time I have tried to address the issue through the Technician webchat from Microsoft or, by cutting out the middle man, creating a new user profile which provides a short term fix.

Microsoft seem well aware of the issue though the Web Chat Techs will spend a considerable time trying to resolve it only to ultimately create a new user profile as a short term fix.

Microsoft seem very reluctant to let users revert to Windows 8 for reasons best known to themselves and getting any significant support from them to resolve the issues is proving extremely difficult to access.

Does anyone have an definitive update as to the progress with this 'bug' or when customers might expect a resolution.

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated June 15, 2019 Views 22,961 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Remove Dropbox.

I had been dealing with this problem for a few weeks.  Today I came across this on Twitter.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-easily-fix-windows-10-start-menu-and-cortana-critical-error-496065.shtml?utm_content=buffer76b8d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Removing Dropbox worked for me.

I checked the Dropbox site and did not see any mention of this though.

Hopefully they will issue an update.

Cheers

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.