Where does Windows 10 find the "desktopbackgrounds" album for new devices?

I recently got a Windows 10 tablet, and logged into it with my Microsoft account. To my surprise, the face that greeted me from my wallpaper after I had logged in for the first time was Unabomber Ted Kaczynski!

The customization menu showed a "desktopbackgrounds" album. Apparently Windows 10 had grabbed some pictures in some way associated with my Microsoft account—I recognized the Ted Kaczynski photo as one I'd used in a TeleRead article about the Unabomber phenomenon—and the slide show cycled through a couple of other random images I recognized.

The thing is, I have no idea where this album or these photos are. They're not in any of my OneDrive directories. I can't find it in my Microsoft Account profile. So where did they come from?

I don't want every new Windows device I get to greet me with the Unabomber's photo! Can anyone shed some light on this, please?

Question Info

Last updated April 20, 2020 Views 480 Applies to:

Hi,

We understand that you are facing some issues as you have an unpleasant wallpaper which gets automatically set in your device.  We, would firstly ask you to immediately, run the below steps as we suspect that your account might be compromised.

Step 1: Change your Microsoft Account password.

Please follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open Internet Explorer 11 and type account.microsoft.com

2. Now, there if you have not signed in, sign in your account and there after signing in, in the left side pane, select Change password.

3. Follow the onscreen procedure.

Step 2: Run the Microsoft Safety Scanner.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software. Please refer the below link to download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

DISCLAIMER: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is not a replacement for using an antivirus software program that provides ongoing protection.

Step 3: Run the Microsoft Account troubleshooter.

Please download and run the Microsoft account troubleshooter as it helps you to solve any account related issues.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/microsoftaccounts.diagcab

Step 4: Change the wallpaper.

Please follow the below steps to do the same.

1. Right click in the desktop and select personalize.

2. In the Backgrounds tab, set it as Pictures.

3. In the Choose your picture, as of now, select any picture that you like.

After doing this, please sign out your Microsoft Account from all the Devices that is connected to your account and then sign in and then check if the issue persists.

Please let us know if the issue is resolved or you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you go to the Themes control panel, what theme are you using?  Are you using a roamed/synched theme that included that image?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Themes setting seems to be set to "Synced Theme," which includes those wallpapers I noticed. Which is kind of odd, because if I go to themes on my desktop to the "Synced Theme" there, it doesn't have all those desktop wallpapers, which leads to the question of where exactly it's synced FROM.

Sorry this didn't help.

After doing that, for whatever reason, the desktop version of the theme seems to have synced to the tablet, and the Unabomber and various other pictures are gone. So I guess that solved that. I'm still puzzled where the pictures came from in the first place, though. Given that I recognized them, they had to have come from one of my machines somehow.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'd guess you have theme roaming turned on, and that was the last theme you had roamed outwards.

Sorry this didn't help.