Question

Q: Wallpaper with multiple monitors This thread is locked from future replies

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro this morning.  I have 2 monitors, and both displays seem to be working perfectly in "extend my display" mode. 

The problem I noticed is the OS will not allow me to select a different wallpaper for each display.  When I right-click and go to "personalize", I'm only given the option of selecting one wallpaper.  It does allow the "extend" mode which stretches the image across both screens, so it's clearly recognizing the second display.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, a removed feature, or if there's simply some other setting I'm not aware of.

Anyone else seeing this? 

Hi Bandalo,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand that you are unable to select different wallpaper for each display in Extend display mode.

There might be some issues with system files or viruses, which is not allowing you to select different wallpapers

Please perform some of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps:

Method 1: Update/Install the Display Adapter driver.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to install/update the Display Adapter driver.

Steps to install the drivers for the Display Adapter.

1. Press Windows + R keys from the keyboard to open Run command.
  2. In Run window type devmgmt.msc.
  3. Then in device manager right click on Display Adapter.
  4. Try to update the drivers from the option stating automatically update the drivers.
  5. If it works fine otherwise try to search for the drivers with the help of model number of your computer from the Manufacturer’s website.

Method 2: Please try to run SFC Scan on your computer to check all system files are working fine or not.

In order to run System File Checker (SFC) you can follow the steps provided in the following link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

After completion of this scan please restart computer and then check the status of your computer.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've tried your suggestions with no effect.  Everything else still works fine, but no second display is available when setting the wallpaper.

I also completely wiped the drive and installed Win10 from USB as a fresh install.  Exact same problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's really stupid this Microsoft Tech is telling you to do some things that don't have to do with the problem. The problem is dat Windows 10's Settings app is far from done, and they haven't yet implemented a way to set multiple wallpapers. Fortunately, the old way of doing it (like in Windows 8.1 and 7) is still there, but hidden.

To get there, press Windows key + R. In the dialogbox that appears, type "control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper" (Without the quotes) and click OK. I hope this answers your question.

Sorry this didn't help.

That works perfectly!  Thanks for the assist.

Hopefully they'll add this back in soon.

Sorry this didn't help.

Looking like a lot of the Apps are half finished and missing basic features. I have this problem also.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

What exactly do you mean when you says that apps are half finished and missing basic features? Do you mean to say that the apps are not working as expected?

Please follow the suggestions mentioned below:

Method 1:

I suggest that you reset the Windows Store cache as per the below mentioned steps and check:

• Press Windows key and R key together to open the Run Window.

• Type wsreset.exe and press Enter key for the command to execute.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to re-register Windows Store App and check. Please follow the steps:

a. Press Windows key + X.

b. Click command prompt (Run as administrator). type the following command:

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML 

For reference: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/notime/archive/2013/10/18/fix-store-app-in-windows-8-1.aspx

Let us know if the issue is resolved or if you require further assistance.

Thanks,
Yaqub Khan

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried both methods, and had zero success.  

I do not see how resetting the Windows Store cache will correct a problem with changing my wallpaper.  

I do agree with the previous poster who said the apps are missing basic features.  With his workaround I can change my wallpaper on both monitors.  Both suggestions provided by "Microsoft Support Engineers" have not even properly addressed the question and simply provided cut-and-paste answers.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I also have what appears to be a common problem.

It seems that there are a high percentage of apparently fake moderators and engineers that are assigned to simply cut and paste generic responses to issues without actually reading the problems posted. It's almost as if they have no idea what they are talking about, but their paycheck must depend on how many threads in which they respond. Do you have a command we can run that would either stop them from posting, or at least let us hide the ones that are obviously useless drivel?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 325 Last updated: January 23, 2018 Applies to: