Volume Icon missing Windows 10

<p>Upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can't get the volume icon to display in the system tray on the task bar. The turn on/off switch is greyed out in 'Turn System Icons On or Off' section of Settings, so I can't turn it on from there. How do I get the volume icon back in the system tray so I can easily adjust the volume level?

Found this fix myself on Windows Seven Forums 'System Icons Enable or Disable.'
( http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19085-system-icons-enable-disable.html)
Option 2 worked for me, where I downloaded ' Enable_Clock_Notification_Icon.reg' installed it and now have my Volume Icon back.

Question Info

Last updated July 22, 2018 Views 137,129 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Yes, per Huff's comment, it has nothing to do with 100% vs. 125%.  If you boot the system and the volume icon does not appear, then logout and login again, it will now appear.  

Very weird.  I had a similar problem with the power icon and fixed that - see http://www.technipages.com/windows-system-icons-missing-from-notification-area/comment-page-1#comment-764317

But that solution did not work for volume and this one is a "band-aid".  Still looking for a real solution. 

Thanks for all the ideas though.  This was a good try.  

Oddly enough no one in MS applications/programming is chiming in to resolve this issue, why? 40 thousand opinions and not one single solution. A physical count on googling issue produces over 70% of the systems that have installed 10 have this issue. A simple Registry hack (which I will not share worked for a single session), but adjusting font size? Really? The problem is a technical issue in the design software, not a wysiwyg fix um up. MS fix your broken toy! Once again another "consumer beta test" to reduce your cost at our expense. Going back to Linux maybe the best option MS just keeps failing at every turn. Go look at the **** that is broken and the overhead it takes to run this junk for a pretty color filled screen, productivity zero to 5% maybe.

Arthur Coleman said it (so none of this is mine I just did the testing) Ok much to do.......I applied this to 5 systems 2 DELL, 1 ASUS and 1 Home built system and a new Area-51 Alienware behold it worked on all 5 systems as follows:

The link information is below the link:

http://www.technipages.com/windows-system-icons-missing-from-notification-area/comment-page-1#comment-764317

SOLUTION ON 5 SYSTEMS 100%.

A problem may occur in Microsoft Windows 10 where the system icons such as the Speaker, Network, or Power icons are grayed out or missing from the Taskbar Notification Area (Systray). The options to enable them in the Taskbar Properties screen may also be grayed out. Try the following steps to try to bring the icons back to working as they should.

1.Hold down the Windows Key and press the “R” key the bring up the Run window.
2.Type “regedit“, then select “OK“.
3.Navigate through the registry to the following location: •HKEY_CURRENT_USER
•Software
•Classes
•Local Settings
•Software
•Microsoft
•Windows
•CurrentVersion
•TrayNotify
4.Look for two values. One named “iconstreams” and “PastIconStream“. Right-click and select “Delete” each value to remove them from the registry.
5.Close the registry editor and restart the computer. Hopefully, your System icons have reappeared in the Taskbar Notification Area (Systray).

IT Security Engineering

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Left click on windows icon and choose settings.

2. Click on display tab.

3. Change the size of text to 125% Then apply.

4. DO NOT LOG OUT YET.  Choose sign out later!

5. Change the text size back to 100% and click apply.

6. Now sign out and sign back in.

Your volume icon will be back. =)

I left clicked on Windows Icon (lower
left corner) and there is no "settings"

option 

Program features
Power Options
Event Viewer
System
Device Manager
Network Connections
Disk Management

Computer Management

Command Prompt

Command Prompt (admin)
Task Manager

Control Panel

File Explorer

Search

Run
Shut down or sign out

Dekstop.... 

NO Settings option

Sure would be useful if these posts

were removed when things change 

so that we don't need to waste more

time reading and trying to follow 

directions that are no longer valid!!!!!!!

I have wasted soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

much time rebooting my computers -

trying to get the volume icon back

this is a royal PITB  thank you for

a fix

Karen

Sorry this didn't help.

I left-clicked on windows icon and found there is no "settings."

Sorry this didn't help.

Thunderpeel,  Thank you for the solution to my problem.  I like your community spirit, now I am wondering if you could help me with the rest of my life?  LOL

Sorry this didn't help.

Never thought this would work, but it did. I must keep for further reference. Thanks a lot.

Sorry this didn't help.

this fix works for me 😊 though does anyone have any idea why the sound icon disappears in the first place????

Sorry this didn't help.

You probably have been doing something which altered the settings, I have lost the ability to have the old style desk top on my other laptop and now have to deal with those wretched tiles, this happened when I was cleaning the keyboard whilst it wasn't switched off!!  So make a mental note.

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked perfectly!!! Thanks so much! I was searching for a long time for this answer.

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 10 does not have a settings just a properties

Sorry this didn't help.

This not only worked like a charm, but my display is as if I bought a new computer--it is so much clearer.  Thank you so much!!

Sorry this didn't help.