Taskbar icons to small and blurry

The taskbar icons in windows 10 are to small.

This had been a problem since windows 10 came out, it has been reported multiple times, and yet after 3+ months, the problem is still there.

This is what the icons currently look like (without "use small taskbar icons" on) :

Whilst most of them don't look to bad, they do not look as nice and detailed as they should. Any sort of small detail gets horribly blurred, and the general size of them is just to small.

This is what they look like on the desktop:

Here is a comparison between what they look like (left), and what they should look like (right):

(I edited the original, unmodified icons over the top of the image)

Having icons at correct size makes it look so much better, and by no means do they become too large.

This seems like a small problem to fix, and yet even though windows 10 has been out for the amount of time it has, the problem is still there.

This issue is also a problem only on Microsofts side, the program icons have no problem with them. Currently the taskbar uses icons of size 32 x 32 pixels, but displays them at a size of 24 x 24 pixels. The downscaling makes them blurry, removes details, and makes the icons look small in comparison to the size of the taskbar. I can see no reason for this behaviour, nor how it has not yet been fixed. 

Discussion Info

Last updated January 23, 2020 Views 5,214 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

What is the processor or display adapter you have? Please find out any existing issue of display drivers or any conflict. I think the small icons are the result of some resolution problem..

maybe you can use a software to solve this problem

and there are many kinds of that

I have a Intel Core i3 2328m processor, and a Intel HD Graphics 3000 graphics card. The icons were fine with windows 8, and other people seem to have this problem to. The problem only occurs on the taskbar, everything else is fine.

Your problem is not a hardware issue..I think because of "scaling" the icons in taskbar look blurred in Windows 10. You can try something like,-

1. Right click desktop - then select "Screen resolution"
2. Click to the option- "Make text and other items larger or smaller"
3. Simply Check a box written "Let me choose one scaling level for all of my displays"
4. Click  "Apply"

Let me know if this solve your problem.

Thanks for the response.

I have been unable to find the "Let me choose one scaling level for all of my displays" option.

On the settings page you mention, the only options are these:

None of the other display settings pages have it.

The windows 10 settings app (the display specific part is linked to by the "use these display settings" link) only has a "Change the size of text, apps and other items:" option, which is set to "100% (recommended)"

Please set the custom scaling level to 125% (default is 100%) & let me know what happened.  It may solve the problem.

Neither the custom scaling level, nor the windows 10 "size of text, apps and other items" solve the problem.

Making it anything higher then 100% makes everything look over large, and the icons are still incorrect. While they are larger, they are still smaller than they should be, still blurry and undersized.

So, OK...If you are really having problem with the ICONS then THE LAST OPTION LEFT FOR YOU IS USING A THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE "StartIsBack++", by which you can get back your Windows 7 like start menu and have a option to enlarge your taskbar icons. You can download it (BUT IT IS NOT FREE) from following link....hope it helps..or, you can wait for the final update of Windows 10 where these bugs would be fixed.

http://startisback.com/

Thanks for the help.

I found 7+ taskbar tweaker, which also has the large icons option.

The fact that you have to use a third party program in order to accomplish something like this is surprising.

Yeah, you are right. Actually this problem appeared because of the extra blue line below the taskbar icons in Windows 10. So, the icons got reduced in size to accommodate the space for blue line. Whatever, the upgrade 15111 of windows 10 has  solved the problem upto some extent and more would be by next waiting upgrades of the OS.