Start menu/ms-settings not working Windows 10

Hello,

After upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (winver shows built 10240) the "Start menu" is not opening for other User accounts except my default personal admin Microsoft Live Account (everything works well here).

I tried to create new "local" account as well as new "live" account via e-mail address (both admin and standard type). Accounts are successfully created, but Start menu is not opening. Search is not working, but Context menu (right click) is working. I can open Control Panel/command prompt/etc.

"Personalize" option on desktop is also not working

I also tried running other settings via windows + R shortcut e.g. ms-settings:about - same error.

Action center/time/etc. is also not opening - everything connected to new UI.

Troubleshooting -> View all -> System Maintenance didn't find any problems, but System scan (sfc /scannow) found something, but was unable to fix some of them

2015-07-30 11:04:11, Info                  CSI    00005e72 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:106{53}]"MicrosoftEdgeSquare44x44.scale-125_contrast-white.png" of Microsoft-Windows-MicrosoftEdge, Version = 10.0.10240.16397, pA = amd64, nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch
2015-07-30 11:04:12, Info                  CSI    00005e75 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:106{53}]"MicrosoftEdgeSquare44x44.scale-125_contrast-white.png" of Microsoft-Windows-MicrosoftEdge, Version = 10.0.10240.16397, pA = amd64, nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch
2015-07-30 11:04:12, Info                  CSI    00005e76 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:156{78}]"Package_376_for_KB3074683~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.0.3074683-592_neutral"
2015-07-30 11:04:12, Info                  CSI    00005e79 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:142{71},l:140{70}]"\??\C:\WINDOWS\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Assets"\[l:106{53}]"MicrosoftEdgeSquare44x44.scale-125_contrast-white.png"; source file in store is also corrupted
2015-07-30 11:04:12, Info                  CSI    00005e7d [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:96{48},l:94{47}]"\??\C:\WINDOWS\SystemResources\Windows.UI.Logon"\[l:40{20}]"Windows.UI.Logon.pri" from store
2015-07-30 11:04:12, Info                  CSI    00005e7f [SR] Repair complete

As reminder. Everything is working on my personal account. I have all latest Windows Updates installed.

EDIT: I also found out that under my Admin account where everything is working, there is ShellExperienceHost.exe (windows shell experience host) process running. But not under any other account. Could it be somehow connected?

EDIT2: I have manually fixed the error that System scan found (only corrupted picture in WinSxS folder). I have run sfc /scannow command again. No errors this time. Problem with Start Menu still persists.

Any ideas how to fix this?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We are glad that you have chosen Windows 10. It is disappointing that you are getting an error message while customizing your computer. Let me help you resolve your issue.

Method 1:

This seems to be an issue with some corrupt system file. For now I would suggest you to run System File Checker scan.
System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows.
Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
Note: Applies to windows 10.

I hope the above information helps. Please get back to us with the details and updated info. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

30 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I already ran System file checker scan and output can be seen in my original post. I manually fixed the error in sfc output.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

BUT the problem persists.

And my original post is not only about error message while customizing my computer, but about non-working Start menu. There are a lot of topics here on answers.microsoft.com with Start menu not working on Windows 10 with universal answer "Run system file checker" which in fact doesn't fix the problem.

Any other ideas?

508 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have similar issues with a new Dell inspiron 13 7000 series.  Brand new computer and upgraded to windows 10.  I have the same error with desktop personalization however my start menu works.  The part that does not work for me is the settings menu.  It pops up very quickly and shuts down.  I have tried resetting twice and a system scan.  It does come up with some problems but cannot fix. 

I have successfully installed windows 10 on my desktop that is an older Lenovo workstation with xeon cpu and NVidia graphics and it runs great.  No hiccups at all including backup and diagnostic programs work.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please run the  troubleshooter that you can download from this link that should work around the problem, if the problem you are encountering is caused by this known issue.

This helped to resolve my  issue

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please run the  troubleshooter that you can download from this link that should work around the problem, if the problem you are encountering is caused by this known issue.

For those out there who are suspicious, I checked the tool downloaded from this link and it has a digital signature from Microsoft (check yourself if you want). I didn't recognize the aka.ms domain, call me paranoid.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Took a while, but I managed to find a solution on the web. Apparently, this issue was also causing all sorts of problems in Windows 10 build 9926.

Open up Powershell as an Admin (I think running Command Prompt as Admin, then type in Powershell works best) and type in the following (or copy/paste):

Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}

It might take a while to run, although that wasn't the case for me.

Next, I ran the following command from the same Powershell as Admin prompt:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

After this I did restart just to be sure and now it all works the way it should.

Source:

Windows 10 Build 9926 Start Menu, Cortana Search, Action Center & Metro Apps Won’t Work

60 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I ran the troubleshooter, but it didn't identify the problem

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

First command completed immediately without any "Deployment Operation Progress popup." as mentioned in the source article.

Second one outputs lots of errors.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Each attempt to reinstall a package says it was blocked by AppLocker. Try disabling that, then run the command again and re-enable AppLocker.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I can see that, but I'm running Windows 10 Home edition.

To terminate AppLocker rule enforcement
  1. Backup the Group Policy Object (GPO) that contains the currently applied AppLocker rules.

2. Delete all the AppLocker rules on that GPO. For steps how to do this, see the topics in AppLocker Policy Procedures.

3. Push out the GPO that now contains the empty AppLocker policy to the affected client computers. For steps how to do this, see Refresh an AppLocker Policy.

4. Disable the AppLocker service (appidsvc) on all the affected client computers. Optionally, you can restart the service. For steps how to do this, see Configure the Application Identity Service. Alternatively, you can disable the AppLocker service using Group Policy instead of locally.

5. Optionally, if you want to update the computers with another set of AppLocker rules (and the service has been enabled), you force a Group Policy update for the revised AppLocker policy. For steps how to do this, see Refresh an AppLocker Policy.

There is no Group policy object editor available here. Also AppIDSvc is stopped and can't be manually started. Error: "The operation could not be completed. The dependency service or group failed to start" due to fact, that AppLocker is not available in Home and Pro edition.

So why is it blocking the reinstallation, I don't know?

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 19, 2021 Views 87,826 Applies to: