Remove alphabet from App Listing on Windows 10 Start Menu?

How do I remove the alphabet so it's just the folders and apps in alphabetical order instead of having the annoying big letters?

Question Info

Last updated April 1, 2020 Views 23,533 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Lloyd,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community. I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please be informed that as of now it’s not possible to make the alphabets disappear. They are created to help you search for the Windows apps easily. But you can always share your thoughts and suggestions through feedback app. We would appreciate you for sharing your valuable thoughts to us. We at Microsoft strive to give our valuable customers the best experience we can.

Hope this information helps. Please post us if you need any help with Windows.

Thank you.

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Forget about the alphabet, that is just a minor issue.

The REAL issue is that you CANNOT EDIT that list! You cannot add/remove/reorder, you cannot create folders. The funny thing is that you can select and move items, but it won't do anything other than show the "not allowed" icon whenever you move it inside, only if you want to clutter the desktop. 

If at least the list was correct, but it is not, there are stuff I have installed that are not on the list. 

I can't believe I got W10 so early T_T

28 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

What is the ^%*$$*$^$* problem here? I want to be able to organize MY Start Menu, the way I like it, NOT the way MS think I should organize it!! I used to be able to do it - so why can't I now??!!

I, like I imagine a very large number of users will, installed Doze 10 via an upgrade from Doze 7. I didn't install Doze 8 because on a PC it was awful - end of.

So now I have a start menu which consists of all my previously organized folders, in alphabetical order, BUT mixed inbetween are a bunch of other app shortcuts. Previously I could click Start, and at a glance know exactly what to click, nicely organized like I say.

Now I have to either click Start, type something, wait for a second while it lists EVERYTHING related (or switch off a function which later may prove useful, not really a choice is it?), then click the folder to find the app shortcut OR scroll around the oversized cartoon candy icons trying to remember which letter the folder that probably contains what I'm looking for begins with.

I have all the apps that I use regularly pinned to the Taskbar, and now I have some which are pinned to the Start Menu as tiles on the right hand side as well. However, there are apps I use less frequently, that I nevertheless use often enough for me to find this sort of tedious messing around with the Start Menu pretty frustrating.

So, I want the following please:

1) Let me change the size of the Start Menu icons, so that the menu isn't so enormously long. Scrolling is VERY annoying on a PC - this isn't a contacts list on a phone!

2) Let me fully control the contents of the menu, just like I could before, so that everything is organized in my own  chaotic (or not so chaotic in my case), but undeniably individual (personal to me) and HUMAN fashion!!!!!

419 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

So, I want the following please:

1) Let me change the size of the Start Menu icons, so that the menu isn't so enormously long. Scrolling is VERY annoying on a PC - this isn't a contacts list on a phone!

2) Let me fully control the contents of the menu, just like I could before, so that everything is organized in my own  chaotic (or not so chaotic in my case), but undeniably individual (personal to me) and HUMAN fashion!!!!!

First thing I did after completing the Windows 10 upgrade was to install Start10 from Stardock:

http://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

Gives you three start menu choices:  Windows 7, Modern (my current favorite) and the original Windows 10 version.  For the time being, I don't see any better alternative....  ;-)

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

"Please be informed that as of now it’s not possible to make the alphabets disappear."

Not good enough.
Please make it possible.

We aren't the only ones annoyed by this clumsy feature.

35 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem with this is that it takes away all the useful links when you right click the Start button! :(

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree.  Get rid of the alphabet, or at least give us the option to turn it off.  It wastes space and does not aid those of us who already know the alphabet.  I, personally do know the alphabet.  Want me to demo it?  A. B, C, D, E, F, G...  Whoever thought this might assist anyone other than a kindergartner student?!?!

27 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Everyone,

Please make use of the Feedback App regarding this Feature request/Design change in Windows 10 to send in your thoughts to the Developing Team directly. 

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, like they'll listen.

This shouldn't even be an issue.
Those large letters should be an option to have not an inconvenience to work around.

My programs list is now over twice as long as it needs to be.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

There may be an element of confusion here...I've noticed that not a single person has explicitly mentioned what the letters are actually for...

The letters are for navigation purposes, not organization. Tapping/Clicking them allows you to jump to a section without having to scroll or scan the entire list...they're actually a hidden/collapsed interactive index.

With that out of the way, there's no doubt that the usefulness of the index depends greatly on the user and the type of device they're on; a control for index behavior will always be ideal.

RE: MS listening to feedback,

They've made a lot of user-feedback changes to many OS elements already...they're obviously responding to general feedback faster than they ever have in the past. Of course...this must continue indefinitely, not just during specific development cycles -- at least, at some rate -- especially where mobile computing and Windows usage share are concerned. In the meantime, SUBMIT, SUBMIT, SUBMIT.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.