Question

Q: Pinning Internet Explorer to Start Menu with LayoutModification.xml file

Hi,

I've got an issue pinning Internet Explorer to the default start layout. I'm currently working on a Windows 10 Enterprise image, captured using MDT 2013 Update 1, and we're using 2 different methods for 2 different groups of users to deploy the default start layout.

The first method, via Group Policy we force a custom start layout for our students using a LayoutModification.xml file, which works perfectly. All the links, including Internet Explorer, display correctly with this method. The down side of using this method is that the start menu becomes locked, and although this is fine for our students, staff require a little more flexibility.

So the second method, for staff, I've copied the LayoutModification.xml file to C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell, and deleted the original default xml file contained in the directory. The theory is that when a staff member logs in to the workstation for the first time, their profile will be generated from the default profile (because we don't use roaming profiles). My replacement start layout file does get applied to the new user profile as expected, but the Internet Explorer link is missing. All other applications behave as expected, it's just Internet Explorer that has the problem.

I've compared the working layout file with the non-working one, and they're identical; in fact, one was a direct copy of the other. It's also worth noting that it works perfectly before the image is captured and the machine has had Sysprep applied to it.

I know my question is rather specific, but hopefully someone might be able to shed some light on the problem. Or alternatively, maybe someone has a better way of updating the default start layout?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Answer

A:

Just in case anyone else arrives here, I found the solution to this at this link:

http://ccmexec.com/2015/09/customizing-the-windows-10-start-menu-and-add-ie-shortcut-during-osd/

Basically, you have to add a shortcut to internet explorer in the start menu folders for each machine you are wanting to do this on and pin that shortcut to the start menu

Did this resolve your issue?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Answer

A:

In addition to the layout modification you may have to add a shortcut to the following locations for it to show up. From the guidance on msdn about layout modification on windows 10: 

If you are pointing to a third-party Classic Windows application, you must put the .lnk file in a legacy Start Menu
directory before first boot; for example, "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\" or the all users profile "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\".

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/mt171092(v=vs.85).aspx

Hope that helps! I am looking into the same things for our environment.

Did this resolve your issue?

Sorry this didn't help.

7 people were helped by this reply

progress

Question Info

Views: 5776 Last updated: October 16, 2017 Applies to: