Mysterious Blue Double-Arrows Added to Windows Desktop File & Folder Icons

Today blue arrows mysteriously appeared on my Windows 10 desktop folder and file icons, as well as my task bar and in explorer. 

I assumed they may be a new visual cue for syncing with OneDrive or OneDrive for business, however, after spending the last hour searching the web I have not found any images/content that matches these same arrows.

Thoughts? 

Question Info

Last updated June 18, 2019 Views 84,980 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I will surely help you with this.

To assist you better, do let us know if you have installed Norton Antivirus in the computer.

We had already seen this issue on computers with Norton Antivirus. If you have Notrton Antivirus installed on the computer then One of or forum member "lanedog33 " had found that the blue arrows are just indicators to let you know what has been backed up and what hasnt been.

To get rid of the arrows, open up Norton and go to settings. Then go to backup. There is an option that says "Backup Status Overlay". If you uncheck this option then the arrows will no longer appear. It wont make your computer more vulnerable, it just removes the arrows.

Do let us know the result. We will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

28 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I dont have Norton, but i am also seeing the double blue arrow bs on all my files. How do i get rid of it?

48 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Deepak, thanks for your reply. 

I do not have Norton AV on my box, and I have also searched my PC to make sure. 

BTW the Norton Icon arrows are bottom left corner, mine are top right corner. 

Thank you,

Roland

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Deepak and Jedipottsy, the blue-arrows are part of Windows 10 - they notify users which folders, sub-folders & files have been compressed. 

Users can easily turn the blue-arrow indicator icons on/off simply by following these instructions:

Right-click the folder or file.

Choose Properties

Click general

Click advanced

Check the box for compressed (saves disk space) which displays the blue-arrow notification on the icon

Or....Unchecked for non-compressed and the blue-arrows are deactivated

Voila - you're now the master of the mysterious icon blue-arrows. 

STEP ONE

STEP TWO

STEP THREE

STEP FOUR

VOILA - Arrows On

207 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

My question is, why are these arrows only on some compressed files and folders, but not all of them, and why are they not always there, I've had them once before, can't remember how i got rid of them, i think it was from reinstalling my Mcafee internet security software, but i'm not certain of that, what i do know is that both last time and this time, they only showed up after windows installed a large update, and I did reinstall my Mcafee this time, yet they're still there, so i just don't understand how it's in any way an intended feature.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

So, im finding these arrows on my files after i updated to the latest version of Windows, build 1511,10586...

I have a 750GB hard drive compressed with the BS icons on the folders and files. Whoever came up with this idea is a great guy.

"Let's spam blue arrows on compressed items". Great thinking there buddy. NO. IT IS NOT.

I do not have Norton or other software that has this effect on file icons, neither in my 20 years of computers have i heard of this issue. 

Oh, and by the way, uncompressing a whole drive to get rid of the icons!?

NO! That's just wrong!

Who knows how to get rid of this bs?

30 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I also did not have this occur with the initial Win10, build 10240 upgrade.  Only after the 1511 upgrade.  Strange.  And, lousy idea, agreed.

Also, think it is pretty sad that someone claiming to be a "Microsoft Support Engineer" was completely unaware of this.  This is a by design addition to Windows 10.  Not to mention, this info has been readily available online for at least a month.  Yet it took one of us poor, simple 'users' to provide the correct answer.  (Thank you rolandmorgan!)

I know that every "Microsoft Engineer" doesn't know every single detail about Windows.  (They do, however, certainly have more access to build info like this than those of us outside MS.)  But, if you don't know, then don't send people down rabbit holes looking for unicorns. To show up here and provide a completely useless answer when you obviously don't know what you're talking about is NOT HELPFUL.  Just sayin'...

46 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

also got this.  Have just deployed Office2010 to win10 build 10586 (via our SCE2010) and the desktop shortcut icons for office apps have the blue arrows.  As far as I know nothing is compressed!

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue - stupid blue arrows upper right corner.  None of my folders or files are compressed though.  Just happened with the 1511 upgrade.  Hopefully they will fix this soon.

Sorry this didn't help.

Do they bother testing any of this stuff?  I just updated with the big update for November 2015, and all of a sudden these blue arrows appear on MANY icons, from Adobe, to Office products, you name it.  There is no compression applied, and I don't have Norton.  Who thought it was a good idea to just slap icons with two arrows, with absolutely no indication of what they mean?

Is there any Microsoft rep that actually knows what this is?  

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.