Jump lists do not show for Taskbar buttons.

Jump lists do not appear when I right click a program icon on the taskbar.  

I have checked the switch in Settings/Personalization/Start and it is ON.  I checked the registry key that controls the Start button and Taskbar jump list behavior and the value is "1."  

I ran SFC /scannow and got no report of corrupted files.

I do get that really super context menu when I right click Start.  I assume that is the "jump list" for Start.

Anyone who knows other things to check, please reply.

BTW, any 8.1 users who have upgraded and miss the Desktop Tile from the Start Screen, right click Start and choose the last item, Desktop.  It works with the Start Screen enabled.

Question Info

Last updated September 20, 2019 Views 381 Applies to:

I decided to use the Contact Support app on the Start Menu and let Microsoft fix the problem.  Boy did they ever!  It was amazing watching the repair over remote control.  I highly recommend using the Contact Support rather than wasting hours on a problem that special tools may be needed to fix.   The app is your friend.  As you can see, I have

my jump lists again.

my

Colin Barnhorst

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.
It’s glad to know that issue got fixed.

Please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you in future.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

‘Jump List’ that debuted in Windows 7 was one of the mostly used feature in Windows 8 to me. When the ‘Jump List’ failed to show; I tried to create another account to see if that issue was due to corrupted user profile. While it seemed to work initially, ‘Jump List’ failed to show up again!

Then by accident, after right-click the icon on taskbar, I immediately click the start button, guess what? The ‘Jump List’ appeared. As I recalled, when start screen appeared on Windows 8, the taskbar did not show up because it was part of the desktop; as desktop was somehow designated as an ‘app’ on Windows 8. Obviously, it was wrong for technical reasons. It was no longer designated as so in Windows 10. However, in this case, a new complication arises; that is, taskbar always shows up even in Start Screen if it is not configured to be hidden. While ‘Jump List’ may or may not show up when I right-click on taskbar icon; it seems that when I go to ‘Start Screen’, ‘Jump List’ always shows up when I right-click on taskbar icon. It seems to be a bug; but this ‘workaround’ should be fine to me for the time being until Microsoft fixes this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.