How to locate and open Windows Media Player in Windows 10

Technical Level : Basic

Summary
A lot of persons are asking about Windows Media Player availability in Windows 10. Good news, Windows Media Player is alive and well in Windows 10 and you can find it quick and easy.
Details

Please note, Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Pro LTSB (Long Term Service Branch) editions do not include Windows Media Player. Windows 10 LTSB editions are normally available to volume license customers. Your only option is to use a non LTSB version of Windows 10. This will require speaking with your IT department or Desktop Support Technician within your organization.

Click Start > All Apps > scroll down to W and click Windows Media Player

or

Press Windows key + R

Type: wmplayer.exe

Hit Enter

Right click and pin it to your Taskbar.

Thats it!

Still not finding Windows Media Player?

If you are running Windows 10 N or K or KN editions, Windows Media Player is not included. You will need to download then install the Windows Feature Pack.

If you don't find it, press Windows key + R

Type: optionalfeatures.exe

Hit Enter

Expand Media Features

Make sure Media Player is checked.

If the option is not available:

Press Windows key + R

Type: winver

Hit Enter

Does it say Windows 10 Home N or Windows 10 Pro N anywhere on the dialog?

If it does, then you will need to download and install Windows Feature Pack:

Microsoft had updated it for the November Update, you can download from the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3099229

If you are running the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, you can download the latest version from the following link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53356

Related:

How to locate and open Internet Explorer in Windows 10

Windows 10 Review: Multimedia and Productivity

Forum Article Info

Last updated December 10, 2018 Views 270,982 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thanks Andre:

You're the BEST....and nobody but ME can tell you otherwise... :)

Cheers ! ! !

Andre,

I appreciate your sending me this link and wanted to say thank you! You are AWESOME!!!

Based on what I had read, Media Player was not to be included.  Can we assume that MS had to rethink that and add it back into the mix of apps on Windows 10?  There must be a lot of us who still buy CDs and rip them so we can enjoy our purchased music on all our devices without jumping through a lot of hoops.

Be careful.  After installing Windows 10, Windows Media Player will not playback any DVDs, and any video clips will not play.

I haven't figured out how to fix that.  I'm assuming there's no way to do that since this FAQ site doesn't account for that.

I had Windows 7 - I wish I could get it back.  I jumped too soon.

You must not have read the FAQ's huh? Because it explains that the Media Center (which would play DVD's and/or video clips) will NOT be included. The Media Center and the Media Player are two different things. I lumped the two together also, but the "community" let me know that wasn't the case. So, the Media Player is still there for your music. In the FAQ section, it also explained that although the Media Center would not be back, that they were including an app for DVD playback and I assume video clips. So all you would have to do now is find that app. If all else fails, contact Microsoft chat, I've found that is the quickest way to reach a Tech. I was lucky enough to have Cyberlink Power DVD8 included in the software package when I purchased my computer years ago, so I've never really had to use the Media Center.

You must not have read the FAQ's huh? Because it explains that the Media Center (which would play DVD's and/or video clips) will NOT be included. The Media Center and the Media Player are two different things. I lumped the two together also, but the "community" let me know that wasn't the case. So, the Media Player is still there for your music. In the FAQ section, it also explained that although the Media Center would not be back, that they were including an app for DVD playback and I assume video clips. So all you would have to do now is find that app. If all else fails, contact Microsoft chat, I've found that is the quickest way to reach a Tech. I was lucky enough to have Cyberlink Power DVD8 included in the software package when I purchased my computer years ago, so I've never really had to use the Media Center.

I agree.  I got my latest laptop almost two years ago and it had PowerDVD 12 installed.  At first I was a bit concerned but since Media Center couldn't play my videos without hanging up most of the time I gave it a try and it worked flawlessly.

I just installed PowerDVD15 Ultra today on my new desktop with Win 10 and it too works flawlessly.  They have a 55% sale going on through 4 August so it's a bargain at $74.95 vice $169.90 at regular price.  I hated paying for something you always got with the package but it's either that or VLC which is free and you get what you pay for it you catch my meaning.

This does not work @Aug 15

DEAR ANDRE.......THANKS FOR THE TIP

I FOLLOWED YOUR WAY AND CAME TO KNOW THAT FREE WMP IS HISTORY.

THE OLD WMP IS THERE BUT THAT WONT PLAY THE DVD DRIVE VIDEOS AND FILMS WHICH ARE WRITTEN IN MANY FORMATS.

VLAN IS A MUST FOR W10 SYSTEMS...ITS FREE AND SUPPORTS VARIOUS FORMATS.

SO IT CAN BE THERE FOR CEREMONIAL STATUS BUT NO USE FOR VARIOUS IMPORTANT FORMATS.

PEOPLE HAVE TO BUY THE WMP FROM STORE....ITS COSTLY AND SITE DOESNT SPECIFY WHICH ALL FORMATS WMP WILL SUPPORT.

MS TECHIES THE BALL IS IN YOUR COURT !

I still see Media Player in Win10.

I also see a new Media server on my Sony TV and PS3 and can now access my PC to play movies.

I see an older (same name) media server as well that does not work (and double on Homegroup).

So it seems Media Player is working in Win10 as it did in Win 7.

Please let it last :)

I had no trouble finding and opening Media Payer, but getting it to play a video is a whole different story, it will not play any of my videos that I have made with Movie maker, any of my AVI files it does play music okay, but other than that it is useless, I think I'll just go back to Windows 7.