How do I remove start menu tiles?

I cannot remove, unpin, or resize the default tiles in Windows 10 as you can see in the following screenshot:

Ideally I'd like to remove all these default apps (besides maybe weather) and put shortcuts to my frequently used programs in instead.

I'm guessing the reason I cannot uninstall them is due to me being logged on a domain, I am however a local admin so would have thought I'd be able to modify my own start menu.

Any ideas?

Hi Alex,

Your Windows question is more complex than what is typically answered in the Microsoft Answers forums. It is better suited for the IT Pro audience on TechNet. Please post your question in the Technet forum. They will be able to guide you with this.

If you have any Windows related queries, do let us know. We will be glad to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

All the tiles on the right hand side can be removed - that's not the same as uninstalling them - just right-click on each in turn and select Unpin from Start. I have no tiles there at all.

Most Windows Store apps can be uninstalled, however there is a collection of apps that are needed by the operating system and can't be uninstalled from the UI. You've probably come across those by now. I don't have a detailed list, but they include Camera, Mail, People, Calendar, and others.

Even those can be uninstalled but you'll need a PowerShell script. Run a web search for: uninstall Windows 10 default apps. You'll find it.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As you can see in the screenshot, there are no options to uninstall or unpin hence my asking. 

This is on all apps too, even Twitter and some King game.

I wouldn't have thought the only way to remove the tiles would be force uninstalling the apps through powershell. 

Developer

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

All the tiles on the right hand side can be removed - that's not the same as uninstalling them - just right-click on each in turn and select Unpin from Start. I have no tiles there at all.

Most Windows Store apps can be uninstalled, however there is a collection of apps that are needed by the operating system and can't be uninstalled from the UI. You've probably come across those by now. I don't have a detailed list, but they include Camera, Mail, People, Calendar, and others.

Even those can be uninstalled but you'll need a PowerShell script. Run a web search for: uninstall Windows 10 default apps. You'll find it.

Hi,

I cannot remove the tiles in Windows 10.

I can turn the "Live" off but any unpinning or clicking makes no difference, they remain alongside the start menu.

You say 'All the tiles on the right hand side can be removed', I wonder if you are referring to the "Play & Explore" tiles only.

I would like to "have no tiles there at all", which I believe is what you say is the case with your start menu, but I don't seem able to do this.

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Thanks

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Re. my post concerning the tiles please disregard my query as I have solved all the problems with Classic Shell.

I did not realise that Classic Shell was available for Win 10, I thought it was to get around the Microsoft problems in Win 8.

Having spent a while on Google it became apparent that the "Win 10" experience is not so good and I did not want to go back to Win 7 unless thgere was no alternative.

I observed that most people are reliant on Classic Shell to provide the efficient and comprehensive configuration control that thay would wish for on their computers so I have resorted to this solution.

I have donated to this superb application but, (call me suspicious), I cannot help wondering if there is some tie or interest in Classic Shell by Microsoft.

It's such an obvious and superb application I cannot believe there is some connection? (Unless Microsoft is so out of touch that it just does not understand its market).

Regards and wishes for all a prosperous 2016.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

service request numer 1399851038

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 8, 2023 Views 5,501 Applies to: