How do I change the name of my administrator user folder in Windows 10?

When windows 10 installed, my folder that is located under users resulted in being the first five letters of my email that is used to log into my msn account.  The folder is located at This PC/Local Disk (c)/Users/uiliw.  I would like to change that to my user name.

I would like to know how to change uiliw to Clarence.  As it is now, I cannot change it.

Help requested.

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2019 Views 5,705 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Clarence,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

As you have discovered, you want to change a user account by simply changing the name. That will produce a cosmetic change only and none of the actual profile files/folders will be changed.

I suggest you to create a new user account, so the user profile folders are created in your user name.

Please follow the steps below:

1. Press WinKey+ Q, type user accountsand click on the result.

2. Then select your User Account > Click Manage another account.

3. In the following window, click Add a user account option.

4. Now we have to create a local account user. So after clicking Add an account, click Sign in without a Microsoft account (Not recommended), then clickLocal account. Fill the details on the screen so appeared for adding local account. Click Finish when done.

5. Press Windows Key + Q and type cmd, for the search results, click Command Prompt. Type following command and hit Enter key: shutdown /r /o

6. The previous step will result your system to boot into Safe Mode. After getting into Safe Mode, press Windows Key + Q, type user accounts, and pick the same from results so appear. You would have now two accounts on your system; first you’re issued admin account and second the local account which you’ve created in step 2. Select local account.

7. Now click Change the account type link in following window:

8. Moving on, change the account status from Standard to Administrator. Click Change Account Type.

In this way, the new local account we’ve created has been changed to Administrator. Now you can restart your machine and log into this account with administrator rights. Since you have administrative privileges now; so you can back up your documents from the old administrator account.

Finally, delete the old admin account and switch to Microsoft account to synchronize your settings with new administrative account. Your system will now act normally with full admin rights in your hand.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.