Cannot log on to PC

Running windows 10 Home.  Log on using local account (no password) Been working fine untill turned on today.  

For some reason, didn't go direct to desktop but expecting Microsoft account password. First just hit enter as this meant to be local account but failed expecting password.  Entered known and confirmed password.  Still failed. Told me where to go to reset.  Have reset account password but told this is incorrect when used. I was using Microsoft Account password in first instance. I changed it for a new one and now being told this is incorrect !?! Cannot get past login request screen.

what is going on ? and how do I access my PC. Help appreciated - using another device to post this message.

Edit: Just logged out of this Community Forum and logged back in again using *new* Microsoft Account Password to post this edit. No problem.  PC won't accept this this *new* password !!!!!

Hi,

For better assistance, we would like to know more information about your concern.

• Did you make any recent changes before you encounter the issue?
  • Are you able to access in safe mode?
  • What is the exact error when you try to log in to your device?

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

In answer to your questions:-

1.  I uninstalled Windows Messenger (never used) but this also removed Live Mail (!?!).  This client mail is used every day.  To get back had to run Live Mail Offline Installer.  No problem mail back up and working until late evening when PC turned off.

2.  I'm unable to start up in Safe Mode.  Requires a password.

3.  On inputting password - same one to access this forum - I get the message.....

"That password is incorrect.  Make sure you are using the password for your Microsoft account.  You can always reset it at account.live.com/password/reset.

I did this but this also said to be incorrect when used.  I have also run through revalidating my Microsoft Account giving me new (current) password.  

I have tried system restore.  This always fails with.......

"failed with unspecified error 0x800700091

failed while restarting directly from the restore point source Appxstaging .....

........ %program files%windows apps

Told to try different restore point but result is always the same

Tried resetting PC keeping files but get the message "There was a problem resetting your PC.  No changes were made

Hope this information is helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Issue resolved by restoring from a previous image. 

This was unfortunately 6 months old so quite a few updates. Fortunately my emails had been backed up early April and restored OK.  No new apps etc had been installed so all in all, got away with this error.  However,  I would like to know how a local account ends' up as a (pseudo) Microsoft account with a password requirement that ends up as permanently incorrect. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The issue might be caused if you created a Microsoft account before on your previous Windows operating system and upon upgrading to Windows 10  which detected that you used to have a Microsoft account on your device.

We're glad to know that the issue has been resolved by restoring from a previous image.

We appreciate the time and effort spent in resolving the above issue on the computer. Feel free to post Windows query, we'll be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 26, 2018 Views 63 Applies to: