BUG: Desktop shortcut icons, overlay keeps changing

The shortcut icons on my desktop have started changing the shortcut overlay icon seemingly at random, although I can force it to change.

Normally it's the proper shortcut arrow, which is fine. But occasionally it changes to a green tick, a circular double arrow, or two people. If I create a new shortcut on the desktop then it almost always changes the overlay icon, and changes it back if I delete the shortcut.

This is only happening on the desktop. If I open Explorer to a folder with shortcuts they are fine. Even if I open the 'Desktop' folder all the shortcuts there are fine.

This has only started happening since I upgraded to Win10 from Win7.

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2018 Views 12,930 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I haven't encountered the issue since the last round of Windows 10 updates.

Ha!  The problem was gone for awhile, then reappeared with the big Win 10 update that took place sometime in April or May 2018.  And F5 doesn't work for me at all.  (Off topic, but I was hoping the big update would fix the Restart problem (Restart causes shutdown; Shutdown causes a semi-Shutdown), but no such luck.)

Oddly, I downloaded an update to a software, which generated a Desktop icon.  That icon had the normal arrow but all the others had the two-people icon.

Related(?) issue: Sometimes the icons for regular files (not shortcuts) that I happen to have on the desktop get the shortcut icon. 

Does anyone know where the shortcut icons are stored?  Perhaps deleting all the overlay icons except the shortcut arrow would solve this?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Me neither with my W10 personal laptop, but my work laptop is running W7 and that's where my problem lives.   

Sorry this didn't help.

I haven't encountered the issue since the last round of Windows 10 updates.

Sorry this didn't help.

This seems to be the definitive answer. Moderators, is there a way to elevate/pin this?

Sorry this didn't help.

So here is the problem. This is not specifically related to One-drive, Dropbox or any other particular piece of software. It a problem where multiple pieces of software are all trying to win the "It's my job to update the icon overlays" war. Many pieces of software use icon overlays and they way Microsoft has implemented it they do not have an awareness that "I only touch this icon". From windows its self (shortcut overlay) to cloud drives to revision software to AutoCAD to development suites and the list goes on and on and on. 

One would think Microsoft could address this because F5 or right click "Refresh" will set things right everything. But only for a short time. I agree this is very annoying but unless you want to run nothing on your computer but the OS it's self you are out of luck until Microsoft fixes the implementation.

By the way the more software you run with overlays the more you will see this problem. I run all of the software mentioned above and my computer only goes a few hours after refresh and things are messed up again.

Contemplating creating a shell script to refresh every 30 minutes or so but I hate band-aids so I have not been able to bring myself to do this!

Hope this help understanding wise so someone doesn't wait time on a reinstall but no fix as of yet.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Not running OneDrive

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

as Simon Taylor_USA said, if you open up OneDrive while the problem is occurring, you can see that OneDrive is syncing. Once it is done, the shortcun icons go back to normal.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's absurd that MS doesn't address this issue.

Has anyone actually reported this as a bug (and complaining on their forum doesn't count ;-) ).

That said (grabs pitchfork and torch), I'm having the same problem.  Fresh Windows 10 Pro x64 install as of yesterday 1/16/2018.  Installed the usual apps I use: VS2017, SQL2017, NP++, Cmder, Office 2016, Chrome, Putty, that's mostly it.  Ran all updates (and then updated the updates, and then updated the updated updates), and installed all vendor drivers for my laptop...

One person mentioned that it happens while syncing OneDrive, that may be the case for me, too.  I am syncing about 50 gigs of stuff right now. 

Besides OneDrive, I don't believe I have any software that is adding overlays.  I would expect those overlays to be isolated to the OneDrive folder though. 

Not sure if the icons that are appearing actually reflect on the issue at all.  The icon of the two-faces is the default overlay icon for a folder that is shared in Windows (I have zero shares configured, though).

Refreshing the desktop with F5 did seem to fix it (temporarily? we'll see...)

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here.  Neither dropbox or onedrive installed.  Been going on for over a year for me.  Microsoft, please fix this!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

It's absurd that MS doesn't address this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.