Question

Q: BUG: Desktop shortcut icons, overlay keeps changing

The shortcut icons on my desktop have started changing the shortcut overlay icon seemingly at random, although I can force it to change.

Normally it's the proper shortcut arrow, which is fine. But occasionally it changes to a green tick, a circular double arrow, or two people. If I create a new shortcut on the desktop then it almost always changes the overlay icon, and changes it back if I delete the shortcut.

This is only happening on the desktop. If I open Explorer to a folder with shortcuts they are fine. Even if I open the 'Desktop' folder all the shortcuts there are fine.

This has only started happening since I upgraded to Win10 from Win7.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

1. How did you upgrade to Windows 10?
  2. From which operating system did you upgrade to Windows 10?
  3. Did you test the issue on a new user account?

I would suggest you to use these commands to repair Windows:

1. Open an Administrator CMD window.  If you can’t find a way, use these steps:
  2. Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task Manager.
  3. Click File > Run New Task
  4. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
  5. Type CMD
  6. Type the following commands at the CMD prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    sfc /scannnow

Hope it helps.

Rohit S

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

6 people were helped by this reply

My update was from a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 install, and it was performed by the auto-update tool. I hand't checked on the other user account on this PC.

I did the commands as stated, the log suggests that it fixed 2 issues with some language dll files. Right now the issue seems to have gone away, hopefully it stays that way.

Thanks

</Slugsie>

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately the issue has resurfaced, although not as badly as before. Now it seems the overlay icon just randomly disappears then reappears.
</Slugsie>

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.  Shortcut arrows on Desktop change or disappear after upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10.  Logging out and back in or rebooting fixes it for a day or two.

Jim K.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this issue as well. Shortcut icon overlays sometimes disappear, sometimes change to some other icon. I tried running dism and sfc commands, but they didn't find any issues.

I have 2 applications that have custom overlays - Dropbox and TortoiseSVN. They were not causing issues on Windows 7 / 8, so I don't think they suddenly are an issue. Also I had Stadock Fences 2 desktop organization software (also used before on Win 7/8), I though it might be an issue, but after disabling it, issues with shortcut overlays remained.

Windows 10 was installed as clean install, not upgrade.

When shortcut overlays are missing, opening right-mouse context menu on desktop and choosing "refresh" brings them back.

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

Exact same issue as voldemarz.

Windows 10, clean install.  I have the same 2 applications installed that have custom overlays (Dropbox & TortoiseSVN) which also did not cause any issues on my Windows 8.1 system.  This is really annoying!

Sorry this didn't help.

Exact same issue

Windows 10, clean install, almost none of installed applications.

I think this problem is because of the program for taking screenshots

like lightshot , joxy etc 

do you have installed something of this?

sorry for my english, google translate )

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't have any extra tools for taking screenshots other than what Windows 10 has built in.

Still seeing this on Windows 10 1511. Right now desktop shortcuts don't have any icon overlay.

</Slugsie>

Sorry this didn't help.

i have the same problem ... green ticks randomly appear under desktop icons.  The registry setting is correct, so it must be a bug! 

Fix - just hit F5 while viewing your desktop - this will cause a screen refresh and for me it removes all the shortcuts, and temporarily fixes the issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

52 people were helped by this reply

I have the same issue. Clean Windows 10 installation. I actually tried to install Windows 10 twice (erasing all data in between) just to get rid of this weird issue.

The arrow icon switches between all mini icons available (like for instance the little green circle with the swoosh sign in to mark that the file is in sync when using roaming profile to the mini icon that displays two users in a square box) etc.

The only thing stopping this is to press F5 on the Desktop.

Oh for the record I've rebuild the mini icon cache from cmd - without luck.

ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache 
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F 
DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A 

and then restart

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 10,502 Last updated: May 19, 2018 Applies to: