Windows forgets my default browser

This problem has worsened day by day. Like many other Windows 10 features, the behaviour changes daily.

For years I’ve used Firefox or a derivative as my default browser. Recently that has been Cyberfox. Between December and March, that was fine. However, in March, Windows forget that Cyberfox was my default. It vanished from the browser list, and Cyberfox then kept bugging me to set it as the default browser. I couldn’t, as it stopped showing up in the list.

When I clicked on a link in my email program (Eudora), I had to select my choice of browser each time. Strangely, if I selected ‘Internet Explorer’ (not Edge), Windows 10 would assume that that was Cyberfox, and the links would open correctly. However, IE doesn’t appear in my browser list, probably for the basic reason that it isn’t installed.

The list of browsers has been shrinking by the day. Edge, still installed, vanished from it today. Basically, it seems the list of browsers I can choose shrinks day by day and my actual choice won’t stick.

The fourth image would look just like the first: no default is selected.

I have to say this is the most forgetful operating system ever. This isn’t the only place where Windows 10 has forgotten settings, or, for that matter, the choices I should have among those settings. I’m surprised your own Edge browser is no longer in that list.

So: what is the solution? Is there a registry tweak somewhere?

Question Info

Last updated August 14, 2018 Views 355 Applies to:
Answer

Neil,

Edge registration is stored in this part of the registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_25.10586.0.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe]

The key name "Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_25.10586.0.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe" varies depending upon the Edge/Windows 10 build installed.

I've uploaded the branch to PasteBin.com just in case you want to do a comparison.

http://pastebin.com/U3wkRKhE

For a side by side comparison, you may use WinDiff or compare them online via DiffChecker.com

Note: The App package for Edge can be reinstalled or re-registered using a PowerShell command, which might add Edge to Default Apps. But I'd ignore this and use classic Default Programs to set associations for the time being.

ex-MVP (2003-2012) (Windows Client)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.