Windows 10 Welcome screen

A while back I added a password and required a login to access my Windows 10 laptop PC.  After a week or two, I decided to remove the password login, as the computer never leaves the house and it seemed like extra work to have to login every time I fired it up.  

I noticed now that my computer bypasses the "welcome screen" upon turning the PC on and goes straight to the desktop.  When the laptop was new (before I added a password - and later removed it) , the PC used to stop at the welcome screen (with the gorgeous "Windows Spotlight" photos) and I would just have to press enter to log in (no password required).    Is there a way I can get it back to the way it was before - where upon startup, it comes to the welcome screen, but I do not have to enter a password?  Like I said, right now it just bypasses the welcome screen and goes straight to the desktop.   I like to see the cool background photos on my welcome screen when I fire it up each day!  Thank you!

***Post moved to the appropriate forum category by the moderator.***

Hello,

Windows Spotlight is an option for the lock screen background that displays different background images and occasionally offers suggestions on the lock screen. You might have accidentally disabled the Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing setting. To check if it was disabled, kindly follow the steps below.

1. Click on the Windows icon; in the search bar, type This PC.
  2. Right-click This PC; then select Properties.
  3. Select Advanced system settings; then click Performance settings.
  4. Check if Visual Effects is disabled or turned off.

If so, kindly enable Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing.

If Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing is enabled, we recommend that you check the Lock Screen settings of the PC by following the instructions below.

1. Click the Windows icon; select Settings; then click Personalization.
  2. Select Lock Screen; check if the Background is toggled to Windows spotlight.

We also suggest that you check the article below for reference.

Configure Windows Spotlight on the lock screen

Let us know if the solution helps.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

See if this helps to re-enable the Lock Screen which is the picture screen that precedes the Sign In screen you have removed along with the password.  The Lock Screen shouldn't really have gone away, so I'd try one of the methods here to enable it: Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2024 Views 3,823 Applies to: