Windows 10 Taskbar resizes after full screen game or attached to an external monitor

As far as I can tell this is a bug when having the taskbar in Windows 10 larger than one row and connecting to an external monitor or playing a full screen game at a different resolution the taskbar resizes back down to only one row. This gets annoying when mobile and having to constantly resize the taskbar to my liking. This happens with my Work PC with a clean install (Dell XPS) and my home computer Lenovo Yoga 13. Both are running x64 Windows 10. One has home and the other has Enterprise. They are both fully updated with graphics drivers and Windows update. Has anyone ran across a fix for this problem?
|
Answer
Answer

Hi Ed,

To prevent the taskbar to keep resizing after the full screen was used on Windows 10. There are a couple of options to resolve this concern.

Option 1. Registry Editor

We suggest that you follow these steps if you are using Windows Home Edition:

1. Right click the Start Menu, then select Run.
  2. Type in regedit and click OK.
  3. Follow these commands on the Registry Editor: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.
  4. Change the DWORD value to 1. If you don't see the DWORD TaskbarLockAll, create it like the image below, and make sure the value is 1:  

5. Close the Registry Editor window and restart the computer.

Option 2. Local Group Policy Editor

We suggest that you follow these steps, if you are using Windows 10 Professional Edition:

1. Go to search at the bottom left of the screen, type in Local Group Policy Editor and press Enter to open it.
  2. Follow these commands on the Local Group Policy Editor window: User Configuration > Admin Templates > Start Menu & Taskbar.
  3. Search for the Lock all taskbar settings, right click on it and select Properties,  and change the setting to Configured, like the image below:    

4. Change to Disable or Do not configure. For your information, this setting the user will be able to set any taskbar setting that is not disallowed by another policy setting.

5. Close the Local Group Policy Editor window and restart the computer.

Let us know what option works for you and if you need further assistance.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2021 Views 4,495 Applies to: