windows 10 desktop shortcuts across multiple user accounts

recently purchased windows 10 pro 64 bit version and did a clean install. there will be 3 users 1,2,3 for this experiment.

user 1 is admin (me) 

user 2 is child 

user 3 is not technologically advanced.

I (admin) would like to have icons such as computer, networking, regedit, nvidia graphics controller, etc. techy stuff. however, the other two users don't even need to see those but, when i delete the icons from their desktop it also removes them from my desktop and vice versa. if one is added it is also added to all accounts as well. 

is there a way to make each user account have their own desktop icons?

notes** desktop backgrounds, start menus, colors are personalized. 

Answer
Answer

Hey there, I apologize for giving you that path. That is actually a redirect anyway.  I actually changed it from public to that wrong location and I should have realized that mistake.  It is in fact correctly the public path as you noted.

Now you are totally correct about the Public folder not showing a desktop folder, but it is really there - merely hidden.  If you paste c:\users\public\desktop into the address bar, you should land at a folder.  Note that you may be prompted to either confirm your admin status or provide the password of someone that is (depending on who you are logged in as).  This is because only an admin can make changes here, as only an admin can make changes that affect others.

If you drag a shortcut into this public desktop, everyone will see it mixed in with their personal desktop files.  Again my apologies, but let me know if this doesn't work out.

PS. That "desktop" folder under "This PC" is just a special kind of shortcut that basically always calls up your "personal desktop" folder (it's mapped to your c:\users\username\desktop folder by default, although admins or you could actual "store" the desktop on a network drive or something.

Those "special icons" that only exist on the desktop like "My Computer" aka "This PC" or Recycle Bin, they aren't stored in your user account folder of course. They aren't even really "places" on the hard drive that can hold files. If you're using a folder and need to reach these special places quickly, click the far-left > icon in the folder's address bar and find direct links. Also incidentally the desktop icon you see here is mapped to the same "desktop view" as your actual desktop, so unlike just looking at your user folder, this desktop view would show those special shell folders.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

37 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 59,491 Applies to: