Win10 - Turn off AutoShutdown?

I upgraded to 10 several days ago.  Twice now I have noticed that my system has entered sleep-mode, or maybe a full shutdown.  In any event, when I login the windows I had open when I left my system are not open any longer.

This leads to auto-recover versions in Word, Excel, etc. - that's ok, but I'd rather they just stayed open.

What is more concerting is the loss of open windows in Chrome and other 3rd party programs.

Is there a way that I can prevent Win10 from doing this?  

**UPDATE** I noticed that my system installed KB3081438 yesterday, and it requires a Restart - can I tell Win10 to NOT RESTART automatically?  Let me save my work and then restart....

Thanks in advance...

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft query.

You can adjust how long your computer waits before sleeping or hibernating—or prevent it from turning itself off altogether. But be careful. On a battery powered laptop, inhibiting sleep or hibernation can result in data loss if the battery dies.

Here's how to prevent your computer from entering a power-saving state:

a. Press Windows key + X.
 b. Click Control Panel.
 c. Clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.
 d. On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings next to the selected plan.
 e. On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.
 f. On the Advanced settings tab, double-click Sleep, double-click Sleep after, and then do one of the following:

If you're using a laptop, click On battery or Plugged in (or both), click the arrow, and then click Never.
 If you're using a desktop computer, click Setting, click the arrow, and then click Never.

g. Double-click Hibernate after, and then do one of the following:

If you're using a laptop, click On battery or Plugged in (or both), click the arrow, and then click Never.
 If you're using a desktop computer, click Setting, click the arrow, and then click Never.
 If you also want the display to stay turned on, double-click
 Display, double-click Turn off display after, and then do one of the following:

h. Click OK, and then click save changes.

Note: On most computers, you can resume working by pressing your computer's power button. However, not all computers are the same. You might be able to wake your computer by pressing any key on the keyboard, clicking a mouse button, or opening the lid on a laptop. Check the documentation that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.

Power plans: Frequently asked questions:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/power-plans-faq

If you have any other questions or you need any other information about Windows, feel free to post your questions and we will be glad to help.

Thank you.
Akheel Ahmed P

69 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This is a desktop computer - it already is set to Sleep == Never. 

So something else is going on...

26 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your detailed answer, Akheel.

I'm facing a similar issue to the first poster. I'm confident my computer is not simply going into sleep or hibernation. It is shutting down. Any time I close the lid of my laptop and walk away for more than a couple minutes, when I come back, I have to turn the computer on again and auto-recover all of my files.

Also, when it starts up, it automatically goes into vertical tablet mode, and won't switch back to desktop mode until I close the lid and open it again.

This didn't happen with Windows 8.

I have a Lenovo Yoga.

160 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

pretty sure I know what this is. Windows 10 now forces updates. That is to say, when it downloads an update, it is set to auto restart. You can determine when it restarts to a degree (within a 12 hour period and no less). I think there is a way to stop it but it involves editing system files. as for how to stop updates, you can set your net connection as a metered connection by looking at the properties of the network from the settings window. This is, to my knowledge, the only way you can control updates. I'm not sure if this completely stops the shutdown though.

This is probably my only real complaint with windows 10. It's a real pain if you want to have something running overnight (especially if it's 3rd party) if an update comes out and it restarts on you while you sleep. I think my download got interrupted the other night.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I was facing the same problem after upgrading to the latest version of Windows 10, I thought there was a hardware problem, maybe I can give a little help..This is what I have done :

Go to :

Settings - System - Power & Sleep - select Addtional power setting (blue words located at the right side) - select change plan settings - change advanced power settings - Turn off hardisk after 0 minutes

that was what I did and now my computer has never automatically shut down.

The rest of the setting (sleep, hibernate, turn off display) is up to you

hope it helps you all..

50 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That didn't work.

Every power options has been set to NEVER off, including the HDD ones. Just that Windows NEVER follow it. 

Very annoying, causing all my computer program to reset. Worse still, I can't rely on remote connecting to it because of this stupid issue. Super frustrating, affect my productivity and work. Plan to work remotely when require as I have TeamViewer install cannot be used because Windows NEVER follow instructions. 

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can confirm that this works, but don't set it to zero, set it greater than or equal to your other power timeout settings. I've set mine to an hour even though it is also set to never shutdown automatically. This works for my purposes. Trying to set it to 0 didn't really help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nevermind, disregard my comment.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That didn't work.

Every power options has been set to NEVER off, including the HDD ones. Just that Windows NEVER follow it. 

Very annoying, causing all my computer program to reset. Worse still, I can't rely on remote connecting to it because of this stupid issue. Super frustrating, affect my productivity and work. Plan to work remotely when require as I have TeamViewer install cannot be used because Windows NEVER follow instructions. 

Hi! I have the same exact problem as described by GoalsHunter, especially with remote controlling! I have tried all the suggestions but none worked! Has anyone found any work-around for this damn problem? Thank you!

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not sure we have the same problem, but for anyone in a similar situation as me the following may help...

My issue was that if I use RDC to connect to a remote desktop running Win10, the Win10 machine would go to sleep after a couple of minutes regardless of any settings I made - power settings, terminal server settings/policies, manual changes to the registry. Nothing had any effect. If I tried to reconnect immediately, I could only do so if I restarted using the physical power on/wake button. If I waited a while, I could do it via wake-on LAN, but more than one reconnection attempt was usually needed as it takes some time to wake up. Exasperating.

I only ever use this PC remotely except for very rare occasions when I have to do something locally, so it is normally headless (no screen, no mouse, no keyboard).

After various tests I found that leaving the keyboard attached to the machine is enough to fix this problem here. This is a relatively old (5 years?) i-3 based system so it is also possible that it has some kind of Win10 compatibility issue and/or would benefit from a BIOS update.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2024 Views 108,273 Applies to: