Win10 does not recognize my images for desktop background

So I open "Personalize," get into setting up rotating desktop backgrounds, and discover that Win10 does not recognize any of the images I have been using in Win7 and 8 for years. They just don't appear, and thus cannot be selected. I've tried adding jpg file extensions, moving them to c:/Windows/Web. They just don't show up. They are viewable just fine outside the Personalization setup, in the Photos app, for example. What's the problem and what's the fix?

Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated May 24, 2020 Views 9,706 Applies to:

Hi Baxter,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

I understand that you are not able to set the images from the folder c: /Windows/Web as desktop background.

Method 1:

I suggest you to copy the images to the new folder (whether there is any error with the c: /Windows/Web folder) and try to set the desktop background through personalization by using the images stored in the new folder. Follow the below steps:

1. Open Desktop, right click on Personalize.
  2. Select the background to picture from the drop down menu.
  3. Now click on Browse under Choose your picture.
  4. Select the folder where the images are copied (New folder) and check.

If the issue persists, follow the below method.

Method 2:

System file check is a utility built into the Operating System that will check for system file corruption. The sfc /scannow command (System File Check) scans the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible.

I suggest you to refer the below link on how to perform System File Checker and check if it helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-system/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

If you are not able to repair some files after performing SFC scan, I suggest you to refer to the point 3 “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log”. Under the section “Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)” to repair the corrupted files after performing SFC scan.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

If the issue persists, follow the below method.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Tweaked my interest with "adding jpg file extensions"...

Just what type of images are these (file type) anyway?

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, Kiran.

Things get more curious. To set any file in the folder as a "Picture" for desktop background, Win10 Personalization recognizes (and allows selection) of any of the image files. However, to try to use multiple files by selecting "Slideshow" under the Personalization choices results in no files being recognized (or selectable).

It makes no difference what folder the files are in.

Shenan: The files are jpeg files. And adding ".jpg" to file names makes no difference.

I ran the scan. Nothing was corrupted.

Anything else I might try for a Slideshow?

Thanks again.

Sorry this didn't help.

For the slideshow to work you need to select a folder that contains the backgrounds you want to use, rather than selecting individual files within that folder that you want to use.

So if you wanted to use 5 pictures from a list of 100 in your Pictures folder, you would need to create a new folder, say "backgrounds"  put those 5 images in that folder.

then in the personalisation screen click on browse and just single click to select the backgrounds folder and "choose this folder" and the slideshow will use the images within this folder

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having precisely the same problem, and the jpeg images files are not corrupted, and will display just fine in File Explorer.  However, when I try to personalize my background, the window on the personalization dialog box does not recognize jpegs, .png files, .bmp files, or any other kind of graphic file as a legitimate background.  I have copied the files to different folders, and it still will not work.  I have the same problem on both my Surface Pro 3 and on my Toshiba notebook, with images stored on OneDrive or resident on the hard drive of my computers. 

I do have a folder called "Wallpapers," containing the images that I want to use, and I am selecting that folder, and it doesn't recognize any images in the folder, showing it simply as empty.

What is more curious is that Windows 10 is actually showing some of the images in that folder, because they were part of a saved theme which Win10 picked up when I upgraded from Win8.1.  However, I cannot add images to those displayed, or edit the slideshow.

I am also not a newbie, have been using Windows since 3.1, and am comfortable editing the registry, so this is not a simple problem of not knowing how to navigate Windows, or how to diagnose and correct either hardware or software issues. The problem does not appear to be related to my hardware, but with the OS.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi everyone,

I've updated this post to be in the right forum (Desktop, Start, and Personalization).

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hairy Mark is the right answer.

You can no longer 'choose' pictures by selecting individual ones, jpeg or otherwise. Copy the selection you want into a folder and select (Browse) that folder. Then it works fine.

That is why you can still see the photos to select the Lock Screen or when choosing just one pictures.

It is nothing to do with recognising the pictures. The feature is not there any more. Don't understand why MS didn't just say that.

All the best

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.