How to Add a .jnlp (java) App to Windows 10 Start Menu?

I have a brokerage trading platform (Merrill Lynch Edge's MarketPro) that was just upgraded to a desktop product (as opposed to launching from my IE11 browser) -- so I no longer have to have Java enabled in my browser (that's good).  I have created a desktop shortcut for it, so I can now launch it from the desktop without my browser being involved.

But the App still needs Java and for some reason, the extension on the upgraded App is .jnlp.

I can not figure out how to get this App shortcut into my Windows 10 Start Menu.  I have a couple of other trading platforms in my start menu, but they are .exe files and I think I read that you can only add .exe Apps to the Start Menu.

Does anybody know how I can add the .jnlp App to my Start Menu.

ron in round rock

Hi Ron,

You may install the latest version of java at https://www.java.com/en/.

With regard to your concern, you may pin the application in Start Menu by right-clicking on the program, and then select Pin to Start.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

jhessica-

I have the latest java installed -- that is not the problem -- it loads and runs properly when I log in and launch it within my Merrill Lynch account.

I actually have two problems (I just discovered):

1) When I launch it afte logging in to my Merrill Lynch account, I am given the option Run or Save.  Run Works and Save works -- except after I Save it and then Send an icon to my desktop, the program will not run.  This is the secondary problem I just discovered.  I had not tried that before I posted this note (i.e. Merrill Lynch just offered this new App on Monday).  When launched from the shortcut (or double clicking), it fails to run with some sort of "Your session parameters are invalid" error.  Since this is a new (in the sense it is intended to be a desktop launch), it may be Merrill Lynch problem unless Windows has some sort of a problem with a .jnlp file.

2)  However, my original post was about getting the App, the Shortcut, whatever into my Windows 10 Start menu -- "just right-clicking on the program" does not work -- there is no "Pin to Start" offering in the drop-down list.  I think the problem is as I mentioned in my original post -- like it is a problem BECAUSE it is not an .exe file.  When I right-click on other file types (i.e.  .pdf, .docx, etc.) the Pin to Start is not offered there either -- the ONLY file type that offers me a Pin to Start are the .exe file types.

So do you have additional advice on either of these problems, particularly #2.

ron in round rock

RnS

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate all the information.

To better assist you with your concern, we suggest that you keep in touch with Merrill Lynch support. Kindly confirm with them if they allow this kind of access by just downloading the file and double-clicking on it to run. This option may need a login to access the file to meet the session parameters.

Keep us posted.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

jhessica-

Yes, I have already contacted Merrill Lynch about this problem (unable to launch their MarketPro product from my desktop).

However, this still does not answer my original post -- which is essentially, how do I get a shortcut to appear in my Windows 10 Start Menu.

That is what is in the Start Menu, isn't it, essentiallty shortcuts.  What is so special about the Start Menu that prevents or restricts what can be placed there.

I know, it is a small point, but the reason I want the MarketPro shortcut in my Start Menu is that often the shortcut on my desktop is often covered up by running Apps whereas icons in the Start Menu are always available without disturbing my desktop display.

ron in round rock

RnS

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ron,

Try this. The small section starting If you do not want to touch the Windows Registry... worked for me. I was able to create a shortcut to the .jnlp file, have it show up as an app, then pin it to the Start Menu.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 19, 2022 Views 10,014 Applies to: