Desktop icons are locked on Windows 10.

Original title: Un-Locked Icons on Desktop

All of my icons are locked, even the new ones I created. I need to be able to un-lock the desktop icons so I can organize them.

Hello Gary,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

From the above description, I understand your desktop icons are locked and you are unable to arrange them the way you want on the desktop.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

1. When you say “icons are locked”, do you mean you are not able to move and place the icons on the desktop?

2. Did you check if the Auto arrange icons option is enabled on your PC?

Enabling Auto arrange icons option will not let you place the icons manually in the order of your choice on the desktop. If you turn off the Auto arrange icons option, you will be able to place the icons anywhere on your desktop screen.

Check if you have enabled Auto arrange icon option on your PC by following the steps below:

1. Right click on the empty space of the desktop and hover the mouse pointer over at View option.

2. Check if the Auto arrange icons option is checked.

3. If the option is checked, uncheck the Auto arrange icons option from the sub window.

4. Close the windows, arrange the icons as per your choice and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

1.     When you say icons are locked, do you mean you =

are not able to move and place the icons on the desktop?

YES

2.     Did you check if the Auto arrange icons option is enabled on your

YES Turned in on and off,

Under Sort By, Maintain Sorting is Checked and Grayed out, Unable to uncheck.

Thanks for your response

Gary

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Gary,

Thank you for replying with the answers and the status of the issue.

You may be facing the above issue due to some of the corrupted app files & folders or missing app files on your PC. Missing or presence of corrupted system files & folders on the PC will lead to changes in system performance where the device will fail to perform simple and normal tasks when commanded.

Method 1: Run SFC scan and DISM scan on your PC by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

SFC scan is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected. For example, some Windows functions may not work, or Windows may crash.

Windows corruption errors may prevent Windows updates and service packs from installing. For example, an update might not install if a system file is damaged. The DISM scan or System Update Readiness tool may help you to fix some Windows corruption errors. 

Step 1: Open an Administrator command prompt window by

1. Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select Command Prompt (Admin) option.

2. Click on Yes and continue. Provide administrator password if prompted.

3. Check if it says Administrator: Command Prompt at the top of the command prompt window.

Step 2: Type the following commands in the CMD Prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Step 3: Close the command window and check if the issue is resolved.

Method 2: If the issue persists, I suggest you to create another administrator user account by referring to Set up accounts on Windows 10 article and check if similar issue persists.

The corrupted user profile does not function normally such as not launching Start menu, Cortana, Search bar, Store and other Windows applications. In such cases creating a new profile and checking for the same will help in identifying if the is specific to corrupted user profile or the OS.

Write to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 23, 2020 Views 11,794 Applies to: