CRITICAL ERROR START MENU NOT WORKING ON WINDOWS 10

I am trying to remain calm while typing this - but I have also been experiencing the “Critical Error – Your Start menu isn’t working.  We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in” message for the past FIVE days.  For FOUR WHOLE DAYS, I have tried every possible combination or suggestion found in the windows report article named (FIX: “Critical Error Start Menu not Working” on Windows 10” proposed solutions. NONE WORKED!

Unfortunately, I do not have a restore point to go back in time and restore it safely, unless I could possibly change the comp0uter clock. Will this idea work?

I have already had the November WIN 10 version installed (happened in Dec 27, 2016, so I am helpless.

The only thing I got from the Community, is that I am very unlucky to have gotten a windows bug, like thousands other unhappy Microsoft Customers who did the stupid mistake to upgrade to WIN 10 Version.

I cannot operate, I cannot work, I am frustrated with you Microsoft Guys with all these stupid programs of yours that create chaos in our lives.

Could you please tell me what is going to happen now?

Thanks

BAT

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

To better assist you with your concern, let us know if you made any changes on your PC prior to the issue.

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow these steps and check if the issue persists:

Method 1: Run the Start menu troubleshooter. After you've completed the troubleshooter, restart your device.

Method 2: Use the Powershell command.

1. Press Ctrl + Shift +Esc to open Task Manager.
  2. Click on File, and then choose Run New Task from the drop-down menu.
  3. Type powershell and click OK
  4. Right-click on PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
  5. Copy and paste the following command into the PowerShell prompt, then press Enter:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
  6. Reboot your system.

Method 3: If you are running a 3rd-party anti-virus software, then try to uninstall and reinstall it.

Let us know how it goes.

60 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

To better assist you with your concern, let us know if you made any changes on your PC prior to the issue.

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow these steps and check if the issue persists:

Method 1: Run the Start menu troubleshooter. After you've completed the troubleshooter, restart your device.

Method 2: Use the Powershell command.

1. Press Ctrl + Shift +Esc to open Task Manager.
  2. Click on File, and then choose Run New Task from the drop-down menu.
  3. Type powershell and click OK
  4. Right-click on PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
  5. Copy and paste the following command into the PowerShell prompt, then press Enter:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
  6. Reboot your system.

Method 3: If you are running a 3rd-party anti-virus software, then try to uninstall and reinstall it.

Let us know how it goes.

Please help here i have tried this option also

my system restore is not working

i have created one more administrator account also and tried options

i have tried Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} in power shell

i have tried sfc/scannow also

I have tried all possible options shown in internet.

i have uninstalled last 20 days installed software too

Still my problem is not solved 

Please Help

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is my eight day in this terrible situation where I cannot co-operate with this stupid Operating System.

Hi,

Thanks for your support.

Let me tell you what has happened.

I did not make up any changes on my PC prior to the issue. The only think that happened is that the PC run out of Power and thus was switched off without following the “proper” procedure.  When connected to power and switched on again, the problem begun.

Method 1: I ran the Start Menu troubleshooter but it did not work. It said “Problems found: Required applications are not installed correctly ---Not fixed. In the detailed information chart it is noted that “Installed Applications – Completed” but not fixed. As of the rest the report indicates that there were no other issues present until its end BUT the fact that “MicrosoftWindows.ShellExperienceHost” and “Microsoft.Windows.Cortans” applications need to be installed correctly.

Method 2: I did as instructed but again, it did not work. This time it did not even start the search at all. There comes a message in RED X saying “Windows cannot find the “”Get-AppXPackage””

Method 3: No, I do not run a 3rd-party anti-virus software. I use Microsfot’s Defender instead.

So, I am back to the bloomy - gloomy situation.

Any other suggestions?

I wish I had not switched to this terrible WIN 10 environment. Too many problems and a very unstable operating system. I wish you can find a solution to this problem since I can see from the Forum or - worst for everybody - Fora that hundreds other colleagues come with the same problem.

Thanks anyway.

BAT

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bat, can you tell us if the issue is happening in clean boot state? Performing a clean boot will eliminate any software conflicts that might have caused the issue. Follow the steps in this article. 

Note: After troubleshooting, make sure to start your computer normally by referring to How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting section of the article.

We look forward to your response.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your advice. I followed your instructions but unfortunately the program(s) still does/do not run as expected, so I guess this issue is not caused by application or service interference.

On the other hand, I have also tried the Command Prompt (Admin) scanning but the scanning stops at the 49% and does not finish (regardless of running it in a normal or safe mode environment).

I created a new administrator's profile and everything works normal. I wish I could keep the new profile and erase the old one but I have no clue how I could transform the old environment into the new one.

I went back to the old admin profile and erased the new one and I am stuck again.

On the other hand, I see myriads of similar complaints from other users having the same problem.

The entire stat bar does not work (although some of the programs on it do). Edge does not, as the action center and the search windows tabs.

Thanks once again.

I wish I knew whether Microsoft will provide a solution soon with their next win 10 upgrade.

BAT

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

None of this works.  I can't understand how MS can't solve it.  I have not loaded any new software for months but last week had the 'critical error ' message and lost access to one note - it had been on my taskbar but  disappeared at the same time.  This is nothing that I have done and so it infuriates me that I am expected to somehow solve it.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried everything and none worked. It seems that this is a real situation that many of us confront but I can only say "who cares?" Nobody does! I wish I had stuck to win 8.1 version but again, I had no options! Look at the number of people who have read my thread. More than 1000! So, what! Problems, problems, problems. Nothing to do but reinstall the whole thing. Blame the monopolies for poor customer care and product quality...

VERY DISAPPOINTING!

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

We appreciate the update that the issue still persists.

We've found this additional link that can help us isolate the Critical Error – "Your Start menu isn’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in”. 

Update us if the issue still persists.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

We appreciate the update that the issue still persists.

We've found this additional link that can help us isolate the Critical Error – "Your Start menu isn’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in”. 

Update us if the issue still persists.

This is the third time I got this error, past errors I just reset the pc but for this time please give me some solution,

My version is Windows 10 Version 1607

This error happened after restart when I finished installing updates (image attached + Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4019472) that I uninstalled but the error still after restart). The effects are:
1. Start menu & search not working. (start+R still works though)
2. Cannot click WIFI (to see available network), battery level, volume, and date at taskbar
3. Laptop slowing down/lagging for no reason
4. Sticky notes (important notes) lost
5. Cannot create new user account

I am not running any third party antivirus and I have done:
- Run the Start menu troubleshooter -> Just report that Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost & Cortana (I turned it off) needs to be installed correctly but didn't fix the error
- sfc /scannow -> Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
- Copy and paste the following command into the PowerShell prompt, then press Enter:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} then reboot -> didn't fix the error
- create new user account via powershell -> new account also meets the error

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am astounded that there is no diagnostic programme that can be run to identify exactly what the problem is and give straightforward instructions on how to solve it.  I have tried unplugging everything, updating all drivers, deleting programmes and so on and have now had approx 25 failures to update which I hoped would solve the issue but no joy.  As my start menu still won't work I have lost access to some programmes and the whole task bar regularly freezes now and so I have to reboot.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 24, 2021 Views 79,627 Applies to: