Can't find recycle bin in Windows 10

I have tried the suggestions made to TinaBahr, I cannot find recycle bin anywhere.  Help!

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are unable to find out recycle bin in Windows 10. This might be if it is either hidden or there is some settings issue. So, try to follow the steps provided below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Method 1

Try to unhide the folders/application by following the steps provided below and see if it helps.

1. Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
  2. Click the View tab.

3. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.

Method 2: If issue persists, Start computer in safe mode and then perform clean boot.

Step 1: Start computer in safe mode

a. When you hit the power button in Windows 8.1 (through Charms Bar), hold down the Shift key when clicking the Restart button.

b. The next screen will present you with three options. Click Troubleshoot.

c. Next, hit Advanced options followed by Windows StartupSettings from the next screen.

d. Your PC will now be rebooted to enable the advanced parameters, which include Safe Mode as well. Once it restarts, you’ll get nine options whereby the following commands apply:

• F4 for Safe Mode
  • F5 for Safe Mode with Networking
  • F6 for Safe Mode with Command Prompt

For more information you may refer to the article mentioned below.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

Step 2:  Perform Clean boot to avoid any third party software conflict.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows  

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh Kumar.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If your in Tablet Mode with only tiles showing you need to go to SETTINGS then SYSTEM then TABLET MODE THEN set the two selections to off. Then the ICONS appeared as normal including recycle bin

63 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Robertqw - brilliant answer, simple fix. Thank you. Best answer in the thread. Other answers remind me of somebody telling me how to make a watch when I just ask them the time. Thanks.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Robert,

My Tablet mode stays greyed out.  It says because I have multiple display devices. Even when I unplug my second monitor and reboot, nothing changed so I was never able to use Tablet mode.

What I was able to do was do a search for RecycleBin in the registry editor, and when I right clicked on Empty recycle bin, and selected permissions, I checked Full Control Allow for All Application Packages, and did the same for my User account.

I also went back to <settings>,personalization><themes>and highlighted one at a time recycle bin full and selected restore default and recycle bin and selected restore default. I am not sure what worked, I was just glad to be able to have the recycle bin restored to the desktop. The concern I now have is the Recycle Bin is almost transparent on the desktop. It looks like a ghost.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

If issue persists try to create new user profile as an administrator and see if issue persists in new user profile. For creating new user profile you may refer to the steps provided in the article mentioned below.

• Press Windows key + R
  • Type control userpasswords2 and click OK
  • Click on add under users tab
  • Click the option, "Sign-in without a Microsoft account
  • Click on Local account 
  • Choose a name for the account
  • Add password if you want to
  • Apply and click OK.

For more clarification you may refer to the article mentioned below.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

Do keep us updated.

Regards,

Ramesh Kumar.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have turned off in tablet mode but still not seeing my recycle bin (trash) anywhere.  i have deleted alot of files and know that it might be full?  

what else can I do when not finding recycle bin anywhere???  PLEASE HELP !!  thx!!!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

recycle bin donot work..how do I fix it ...

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 25, 2024 Views 27,504 Applies to: